Help to keep cats out

Okay so my boyfriend and i have two cats they are only 10 months. after my baby shower last week we set up the pack-n-play that we got but they keep sleeping in it and playing in it. Is there anyway to keep them from getting in it? I mean i dont want to get rid of my cats but im afraid that if i cant break the habbit of them doing it now when Alyson gets here they are goin to sleep in it with her and suffocate her..any suggestions????

Mandalxl

Asked by Mandalxl at 7:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Try getting a squirt bottle and squirt them with water when ever they get in there. This is what a friend did and it helped her.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Ive tried doing that and they are just to bullheaded or dumb to realizse they are doing something bad. :(
    Mandalxl

Comment by Mandalxl (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• keep them out of the room where the baby will be sleeping.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I had this problem but for us, when baby was in it, cat didn't want to be. Call a local vet office and ask the tech who answers the phone or the humane society. Both should answer this.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Don't set it up now for one thing. Keep them out of the room when baby is sleeping in it. Since it is empty at the moment wrap tin foil around the legs and place some on the inside. Cats don't typically like the feel of it and should avoid it. Of course it sounds as if yours are the exception since they don't seem to mind water. Try the foil. Good luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i have had cats for 20 years, and have used these methods to 'train' them. (yes, cats can be trained! lol)

put aluminum foil in the bottom of the pack-n-play. when they jump in, the noise should scare them away. if that doesn't work, try putting the floor mats from your car in there, upside down, so the lil plastic 'teeth' are pointed upwards. it should only take a day or three for them to associate unpleasantness with that area.

btw...is this the same thing as a playpen? my babies were babies LONG ago...haha
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 7:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I didnt know about trying the foil thing hopefully that will work. Yeah these cats aren't very bright lol
    Mandalxl

Comment by Mandalxl (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have one cat who still gets in the pack n play all the time, but never when the baby is around. I know they make little tent things to cover cribs - that might work. But seriously, I would wait until your baby is born before you take any action, because it is likely they will want nothing to do with the pack n play when it is occupied. And it is also a good idea to keep cats away from where your baby sleeps, not because I think cats smother babies, but because I KNOW that cats may take a swat at a baby who is annoying them. We have 4 cats and a toddler and have had very few problems.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010