How many weeks must you take off work when you have a baby?

I know they say six but I'm talking how much is actually completely neccisary because you can't really work. I know you are supposed to stay home to bond with baby but my boyfriend has no job and no job in sight! (He has a record) so I doubt he will ever get one and I just started my new job so I won't get paid leave so how much time do I actually have to be off work for my health?

LonnaG

Asked by LonnaG at 7:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well, if you end up having a C-section, your Dr is not going to release you for 8 weeks.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It is really up to you. With my 3rd child(when I was working, now I am a SAHM) I took 2 1/2 weeks off.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• U need 6 wkd to recover from a vaginal delivery. 8wks if it's a csec
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Many years ago, one of my employees was back in 3 1/2 weeks after giving birth. I didn't agree, but she brought a release from her doctor. The release stated she could return to full duty with no limitations. Her job included heaving lifting.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• it really depends on you! i was out shoveling snow two days after i came home. i know one who couldn't lift her newborn for almost a month. see how you feel then let your body tell you. tell your man to labor ready, they don't care.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• they say six, but depending on your job, I could see going back sooner if you had a vaginal birth, not csection though.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• they usually give 4-6 weeks leave!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have a friend (waitress) who went back to work 48 hours after giving birth... Is this the healthiest option? No! But sometimes you have to do what you have to do... I would say wait as long as you can, but the utility companies don't care that you just had a baby...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 6 weeks after a vaginal delivery? LOL. I don't think so.
    2 weeks is more reasonable. I was helping to move a household full of furniture 3 weeks after having my daughter and had no problems.
    If she needs to go to work a few weeks would be sufficient. IF it is a vaginal delivery.
    Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Most doctor's won't release you for six weeks and it's not because you need to bond with your baby (though that's a plus side), it's because your body isn't healed. And most workplaces will want a doctor's note for you to return to work.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010