What would you do if your 9 & 10 year old children set your house on fire?

Why I ask... Local 10yo has been arrested for arson... He and his 9yo sister caught their house on fire - not one - but EIGHT times over the weekend... I am generally not one that does the "Where were the parents" thing, and hate when people do... But I also can't imagine that I wouldn't have taken action after the FIRST fire... I feel for the family, but really? EIGHT TIMES?? How do you not take action to change this before you face losing your home or family?

**The 9yo was not arrested because in PA you can't be charged with a crime that young.**

I'll post the link below.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Those kids are messed up and probably so are the parents. CPS needs to check into it. I'm sure they will. If the parents are normal, then the kids are a total danger and need help asap.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• thats weird
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• yes, that is definitely a "What the heck where the parents doing?!?!" thing!

crazy!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• wow!!!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i think this is one situation the "where were the parents?" arguement is useable. that's kinda crazy.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• There is something seriously wrong with this family. That two children would be involved in anyway with eight fires. I really think this family should lose their children, at least for a little while,  until someone can find out what is going on.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Goodness! They should be giving those children psychiatric evaluations. Usually when children are into playing with fire, (this is common in boys, especially) that is a sign of sexual abuse. The parents should be held responsible because obviously they weren't watching their children, and they should have done a better job child-proofing their home. If they were my children, I would take them to a psych after the first time and try my hardest to not go ape shit on them lol
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Sad thing is there are two other children in the house and it's a row house, so if one goes up, so do all the others... They could have caused a MASSIVE loss of life here!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I would be upset in more ways than one if my children would do something so horrible as to burn their own home down. That's a recipe for failure on the parents part for behavior so bizzare as that. Unless the kids are harboring anger toward their parents for some unknown reason. Most children would not be Pyromaniacs. Most parents try to raise their children responsibly.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010