What kind of organization do you have when paying the bills?

No matter how organized I want to be somehow it gets all mixed up and forgotten.
how or what do you do to keep it in order.
Thank You Ladies ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• well, luckily (well sort of! LOL) I don't get too lost in them. Hubby is paid once a month, so when he gets his check I pay all the bills. We only have 4 so it's not hard to keep up with - power, cable, water, and car insurance.

I have a large heavy duty magnet that I stick the monthly bills on the fridge with when I get them too. All in one place, easy to see what I have to pay.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• we got one of those cheap accordian type folders with a closure thing on it. it's got tabs that you can write on to organize them and then put them in a seperate section once they are paid.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We use the accordion thing too. But as far as paying them goes, we pay them as soon as they come in. When my husband gets paid we set aside all the money we need for bills until he gets his next pay check. Then the rest of the money is divided into categories, like food, groceries, fuel, etc.

It works well for us :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I made an excel spreadsheet for our weekly budget (dh gets paid weekly). I put the bills in my desk drawer when they come in, and I pay all of the week's bills every Thursday and balance the checkbook. Also, most of our bills are automatically paid on a certain day of the month, so those are just added to the spreadsheet on the appropriate week.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 7:30 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yeah right. I get money then I pay the most important first...blah blah. I just know what I have to pay. I don't keep bills around. I know I need to pay rent, car payment, car insurance, internet, cell phone, and buy groceries.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My husband and I have a ton of bills- clinic, hospital, 4 utilities, chiropractor, dentist, credit card, mortgage, insurance, etc. I pay all of my bills using my credit union's online billpay feature, because then I don't have to worry about stamps and envelopes to send everything. As far as in-house organization: I open every bill as it comes in and throw away the extra inserts and the outer envelope and everything so I don't have as much paper to deal with. Each bill goes into a small basket hanging on the wall beside the computer. As I pay them (my husband and I get paid alternate weeks) I put them into a large yellow clasp envelope (you can get a box of 25 for cheap at your local discount chain) that is marked for that month. We also write on the front of the envelope what needs to be paid each month, and as we pay it write the amount next to that bill. That way we always know what still needs to be paid!
    jnfrheinz

Answer by jnfrheinz at 7:52 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I just pay everything online each month. We're completely paperless. All of the statements are delivered to my email account.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have all my payments set up on line for the year. My utilities, car payment and mortgage are all paid automatically too. I'm totally paperless and never really worry about it.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I use Quicken and pay all but two bills online. With Quicken I can put in all the monthly bills, and just check it when dh's check comes in and pay those due. Other ways I'm not that good with organization . . .
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Spread sheets. I also have 2 bills set up to automatically come out. The rest I put on a dry erase board in our office. Dates, amount, and erase when pd.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010