At what age did you start letting your kids bathe or shower alone?

My son is 4, I can't imagine letting him in the tub alone - he would come out with more dirt (I'm sure he'd find a way) and my poor floor would have an inch of water on it... But after a recent comment about a 4yo showering alone, I'm wondering when is the norm for this?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• completely unsupervised? about 7. Just have to make sure that they get clean, and send them back in if they don't.

My dd is 9, and has been bathing herself for about 2 years, the boys are 3 & 5 and I still bathe them, or bathe with them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Sorry, I know it's a weird question... But I have only had teens and now my oldest is 4... I never had them in between... lol!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My ds is 6 and we usually let him clean himself.. but his dad puts him in the shower and makes sure he's doing what he needs to be and not playing around... I think in a few months when he's 7 he will be ready to shower by himself.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 7:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• As a general rule of thumb I will get my 3 year old set up and he washes his own body, but I have to wash his hair still. My son can even start the water by himself and will test the water and adjust to the right temperature. So I suspect pretty soon all I will have to do is hang out near by in case he needs me.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My 7yo completely does everything by herself. My 6 yo does everything but start the water and we also do a final check to make sure she got all the soap off. At about the age of 3 I started leaving them in the tub to play so I could put away laundry or something then I would go back in a few minutes and wash them.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my ds has been taking baths by himself for well over a year, and he just turned 5. does he clean himself properly every time without me going in to remind/show him about 50x? no..but that just tells you he's not unsupervised. he does rather well washing 'everything', though. he just can't stand to get his eyebrows wet...ergo, he hasn't wanted to take showers yet, either. so i always have to do the shampooing, while he yells 'dry towel! dry towel!' over and over!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• UMM I wouldnt leave even my 5 year old alone in the tub as I dont think thats safe, but the 5 yearold does shower alone with me in the next room and is totally able to wash everything including hair, we have a kid size shower attached to the big shower and this thing is great lol. The 3 and 2 year old have to be washed and watched.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My guys were around 6 or 7 when I felt comfortable enough to walk out of the bathroom while they were showering or bathing. By age 8 they were all completely bathing on their own.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I leave my DD to play alone in the tub, have since she was 2. I am in the next room hearing everything of course. As for washing her, I still do that. I don't see her washing her own hair for another year or two.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My older ones were completely unsupervised by 6. I put stickers on the faucet so all they had to do was line up the stickers and the water would be the perfect temperature (my oldest has autism and needed a visual cue, but my younger ones used it too when they started showering solo)

Answer by missanc at 10:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010