17 Weeks and already having contractions!

I started having a few contractions the other day, but didn't worry about them. But then last night I had 15 within 2 hours. They were so painful they woke me up! I called the dr this mrng and he just says to drink lots of fluids and keep my feet up, but drinking so much water has made my bladder fill up much faster and the contractions have gotten stronger... Anyone have anyother ideas on how to relieve them?!

danielleaube

Asked by danielleaube at 7:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've been having Braxton Hicks contractions since about 16 weeks, but you shouldn't be having more than 3 an hour. They shouldn't really be painful either. Your doctor is right to have you hydrate and do other things such as a bath to try and stop the contractions, but yours sounds more extreme. Only you know if something is wrong, so trust your instincts and be seen if you're worried.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• call the doctor back. tell them it's not working. braxton hicks contractions shouldnt be painful that early.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• go to the er asap
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• BH shouldn't hurt. But you do need to stay hydrated cause your uterus will contract if you dehydrated. I would personally take tylenol and take a bath and if it didn;t help go to the ER.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 8:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Ok I have had them since week 16 and yes drinking a lot of water will make it worse to... What my doctor told me to do was drink gaterade (sp?) it hydrates you and has the electrolites (sp?) that keeps you hydrated.... this entire pregnancy I have had a lot of gaterade... make sure you still get some water through the day but the gaterade will take the place of some of it... The problem for me was drinking all that water was just going through my system and wasn't helping anything..... the peeing slows way down drinking the gaterade and it worked great!!!!!! In this heat you need the electrolites in your body!!!!! Get some asap and try that out, I buy it at walmart by the gallon, I buy 4 aweek and go through them all sometimes even 5..... i feel your pain but that is about all you can do, oh and take some tylenol also!!! gl hope that helps!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• They are braxton hicks or your uterus is aggravated. Braxton hicks CAN hurt! I would highly recommend drinking lots of fluids and taking Tylenol... and relaxing as much as possible. It also might be ligament pain and nerve pain as well. That can be painful as well. I would not classify them as actual contractions though!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i had contractions that early with one of my babies, and he was born at 32 weeks. i was waaaay over stressed, and my baby came early because of it. you need to be sure that you are eating very well, and yo do need to be hydrated. eating 8 servings of fruits and veggies will be better for you than gatorade. the powdered gatorade does not have high fructose corn syrup, so the powdered would be better than premixed.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010