Is nudity a taboo in your home?

And what does your religion say about nudity?

Do you shame your children by making them wear clothes, by teaching that it is wrong to be nude?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 8:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• nope.
    we are unfettered by puritanism, our behavior is moderated by common sense and mutual respect, not dogma.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• We are rarely dressed... My religion not only doesn't make nudity taboo, but tends to endorse it! lol There is nothing more natural than nudity... Although I don't walk around in front of my kids naked, I'm usually in little more than a tee shirt and and undies... And my kids rarely have that much on...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My son strips as soon as he enters the front door. So does my hubby. I prefer to cover up a bit (tank top and shorts) but nudity is definitely not taboo in our house.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• lol You seem to already be judging people if they don't prefer nudity in their house.

I walk around naked after a shower and don't care. My daughter likes to be naked but we only do it at bath time/getting dressed. Its not taboo in our home but we do prefer to be dressed so we can leave or have company come over at any time. Besides, sitting on the couch or something else naked is kind of gross lol.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 8:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Nope we love being naked in our house! It's our house after all! And every single day at least twice a day my son gets naked time. :) That's when I strip him down to nothing and just let him run free. He loves it and usually just dances around. Once the dancing stops I either put him on his potty seat for a few moments or back in a diaper. But I don't understand why people are so shamed of their bodies. We are not religious either, but I would think that because MOST religions believe that humans were created in their God's image that being naked would be something that they are proud of.
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 8:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't think making a child wear clothing is shaming them in any way. I mean, let's be honest here, it's the societal norm. Any child, regardless of how open minded their parents are about nudity, will eventually need to learn to wear clothing at appropriate times.

I'm not hung up on things like nudity in the slightest, but when you phrase things in an intentionally inflammatory way like "Do you shame your children by making them wear clothes..." it makes you look like you're looking for a fight, not asking a genuine question. You KNOW 99% of the population dresses their children for the day. I call bullshit on this question. You're trolling.

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't teach my children that nudity is wrong, but there is a time and a place for nudity. I do NOT let my children walk around the house naked, nor do me or my husband walk around naked.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• funny you should ask! My son is going through a naked phase again! I tell him to just stay away from open windows lol! i don't have a religion,so that point is moot. I don't shame him.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• No, it's not. My son is only 10 months, so obviously it's not even somewhat an issue, but as long as he's a little kid, I'll never make an issue or even bring attention to it. I mean...obviously I don't want him walking around naked when he's 12 or anything, lol, but as a kid there is nothing wrong with it at all.

As for my religion, there's no issues with it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't say it is wrong really to be nude. That is one of the most natural things in the world. However, I do teach my DD that in this world today it is looked down upon to be nude. In our religion there are many rites and rituals that nudity is perfectly acceptable.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 8:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010