Does it piss you off when...

People blame their religion for their bigotry?

For instance the statement" Gay marriage should not be legal, because God said so."

This pisses me off. It is blaming God for your bigotry and hate. You are assuming, because the translation of the bible says it is wrong it is! I have shown it the past the stupidity in this idea. However even if it did say this does it also say to control those who are gay? NO! According to what you believe it just says don't be! So why not leave god have his own opinion and you get yours? Why not stop blaming God who is all loving of hate and intolerance? Do you not have your own brain, your own thought? Can you not speak for your self? You want a country based off your religious views find one. If you can't vote and leave your religious thoughts out of it. DON"T VOTE! Simple isn't it. Or do you need a scooby doo lesson in how to?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Not to mention Isaiah 1; The entire first chapter is an utter condemnation of Judah. They are repeatedly compared with Sodom and Gomorrah in their evildoing and depravity. Throughout the chapter, the Prophet lists many sins of the people: rebelling against God, lacking in knowledge, deserting the Lord, idolatry, engaging in meaningless religious ritual, being unjust and oppressive to others, being insensitive to the needs of widows and orphans, committing murder, accepting bribes, etc. There is no reference to homosexuality or to any other sexual activities at all.

So Genesis 19 pertaining to homosexuality.. debunked!
    (that was the chapter your brought up, however I did bring up Leviticus earlier, and would be glad to point out other problems with your interpretations on the bibles views on homosexuals)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:56 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• So who cares?

The people who are denied entry to the hospital room where their partner of 40 years is dying because some uptight asshole 300 miles away throws a hissy every time they suggest getting married so they can be allowed in the room.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• "The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer. If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed." ~ 1 Timothy 4:1-6

Anonymous

• Well, I think they should be entitled to their own opinion, and the right to follow what their religion says. You can't expect people to go against something if their religion totally preaches against it just because you don't approve of what that religion may say. I think gay marriage is fine, and it would be great if everyone felt that way, but unfortunately, they don't. And I really, truly think that the reason some people don't agree with it is strictly because of their religion.I think what you're saying is actually quite insulting to a bunch of different religions, completely separate from the homosexuality issue. Just because someone follows what their God says, doesn't mean they don't have their own brain!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Hot-mamma86, If you would actually read the bible verse, it is talking about how The Bible even says that Christians will demonize other Christian and not allow them to marry in this passage: meaning that forbiding people to get married whether they are gay or straight is wrong.
    Anonymous

• Hypocrytical is you telling people how NOT to vote. I choose freedom of voting. Not hypocritical at all.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have got to read the bible becaue I could swear people have said it was in the bible that men shalt not lay with man or something like that.
    I personally stay away from church because it scares me more then any horror movie!
    Really I think zombies will happen before god would appear.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 8:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I love how people twist the words in the Bible to suit whatever message they wish to deliver. This means this- this means that. the Bible says this, so that behavior is wrong and amoral. give.it.a.rest. Stop trying to use the Bible to justify your mean and vindictive opinions.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:09 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I say people need to stop using their God as a fraking excuse to hate. AND just because you can vote according to your religion does not make it a good decision either.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I really don't have much of a problem when someone states that they believe it is a sin because of their faith. If that's what they believe, then I say they are welcome to those beliefs. And when they can state those beliefs respectfully, they have my respect as well. What bothers me is when people insult the gay community by saying hateful things about them because of their faith, or when they think discrimination and denial of rights is okay because of what their holy book says. I can't stand when people use their religion to backup their own bigotry. A friend once said, "Sure you're free to have a bigoted opinion, but you're still a jerk who has a problem."
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2010