Help me help my mom she is a drug addict

and I don't know how to go about getting her help. She denies it but she takes way to many pills and when she is out of them she freaks out and then buys them from people and when she can't get pills she is mean and cranky and cruel. I want to help her I just don't know how. I know she is going to have to want it and that I can't force her but I can't live like this anymore. I don't want to cut her out of our lives but I will but want to offer her help. How and what should I do. thanks for any and all advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Health

• I so feel bad for the addicts...they made bad choices in life and are now suffering...and the people that love them suffer. xmama hope you never have a child that becomes addicted to drugs...or someone you love............you will understand then..and eat your words.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• and btw having someone in jail doesn't automatically fix them up....by teaching them a lesson..........its short term...they need rehab
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Offer advice and listen. Don't sugar coat things with her. If it means you don't have a relationship with her then that is the bottom line. If she wants help it is up to her. You can help her get it or find it but like the saying goes. You can't lead a horse to water and make it drink. Good luck.
    tyra618

Answer by tyra618 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• honestly if she doesnt want help its hard. she may always go back to useing afterwards. try sitting her down and have a heart o heart or maybe doing an intervention?
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 8:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• get some family and friends together and do an intervention. that usually helps people realize they even have a problem when everyone else they love is telling them they do.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• being an ex drug addict myself doing every drug i could get my hands i know its hard to stop. for me i just woke up one morning and was like damn if idont stop im going to die. it wasnt untill i had my daughter at 19 that i stoped all the "hardcore" drugs like coke and stuff. and it took me meeting my DH till i stoped smoking weed all together.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 8:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i would have the cops search her house. if they find something, they'll lock her up, and in jail she wont be able to take pills and she will learn her lesson.

if she really doesnt want help, let her take the pills, she wants to live like that, let her.

i dont feel bad for drug addicts, and the ones who want help, should get it, and the ones that dont can just suffer.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2010