Is my daughter getting jealous of our unborn baby???

Hi, I'm currently pregnant (6 mths) and I have a 3 yr old. Well, since I got pregnant, my 3 yr old has taken it really good she has been excited about having a "little brother or sister" but I've noticed a couple of things that kind of worry me. Sometimes, she will say she has a headache. I've taken her to the dr and the dr said sometimes kids feed off of pregnant women's hormones (especially girls) and she could be sensing all the changes in my body. I thought he was full of crap but, now it kind of makes sense. Then last night, she peed on her bed. She is fully potty trained and has never done this before. Should I worry?? What should I do to make sure she knows that this baby is not going to replace her and that we love her very much? Any advice or opinions?? Please help. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sibling rivalry starts.....All you can do about it is give your daughter her regular quality time. When baby arrives--make her your little helper and praise her efforts. When you are pregnant---you are hormonal and lets face it----extremely drained physically and mentally. Sometimes you just do not feel like playing with your little one. This is a good time to read a book to her, color etc.....Keep your quality time the same now and when you deliver, if possible. Don't overdo it because then little girlfriend will learn that she can manipulate you with guilt. Make sense?

MamaBear44

Answer by MamaBear44 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You could try getting her a little baby doll that she can learn how to care for. Then when baby comes, include her - i used to make my son hand me diapers to change his brother or he'd throw a bottle in the sink for me. Little things like that make older siblings feel VERY important.
    ggfletcher

Answer by ggfletcher at 11:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Alot of kids regress a little when a new sibling is introduced. She will be back on track in a few months after she is used to the new routine. It is important to include her in as much as you can with the new baby, make her feel important and special too. My 3 yr old was super helpful and wants to hold feed and change her brothers... If only she were old enough. LOL
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• DD had just turned 3 when her little sister was born. She regressed w/Potty training before hand, and my cousin's daughter also regressed just before their new baby was born. It seems to be fairly typical, and not having to do with jealousy. Make sure to include big sister when your LO arrives. DD calls herself "Mommy's great helper." She hands me wipes, diapers, brings the formula from the pantry, pretty much anything so she feels included. We also play a little game where I ask who's the best big sister in the world, who's the best little sister in the world.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• include her in the doctor visits. Ask her to help you with the baby's stuff. Have her help pick outfits out. Make a t shirt with some fabric paints or use Sharpie markers and make a big sister t for her to wear and make a baby sister or brother oneies for the baby too. My son helped me fold clothes for sister. He even tried on her hats. We even went shopping and had him pick something out for her. (she was born on valentines day) and then we picked something out for her to give him as a gift. He has been good with her. We make time for each one now, its hard but sometimes a little time is better then none. We make it a habit to say goodnight to each and everyone (fury too) gets a hug and kiss (yes furry too) Just remember it will take time for her to adjust. Its going to take time for everyone to adjust to a new baby anyway.
    Midnightduck515

Answer by Midnightduck515 at 1:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2008