prenatal vitamins

So I just stopped my BC pills bc we are TTC and I was told to start taking prenatal vitamins. My dr appt is next month but it was recommended to me to start taking them right away. Any suggestions on brand, and/or best places to get them?

JeffsWifey09

Asked by JeffsWifey09 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• As long as it has the 800mg or more of folic acid, pretty much any brand is fine. You can even just take the folic acid which is the only reason that the doctors say to start taking prenatals before you become pregnant, folic acid can prevent many birth defects that happen before you know you're pregnant. And before you get pregnant the prenatals shouldn't upset your stomach, just be sure you don't take it on an empty stomach and you should be fine. Good luck!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• compare labels. some have more in them than others.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Any prenatal is fine. Just make sure it has Folic Acid. I took the Sam's club brand for my second and third pregnancies. I found they didn't make me want to vomit, where the prescription ones all did. Also take them at night before bed if you get sick after taking them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• So should I try to take them in the morning and if I get sick switch to taking them at night? Or should I just take them at night when I do start them? And I was also told to make sure they have at least 800 mg of folic acid? One my husband saw said prenatal plus DHA and had 975 mg of folic acid.
    JeffsWifey09

Comment by JeffsWifey09 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• actually, any over the counter pre-natal is not going to be that great. there is no law governing vitamins and supplements, so lots of times when you see 100% of something, your body is not able to absorb that amount at once, and you just pass it through you as waste. (hence why your pee turns bright yellow or green!) your best bet is to get a vitamin that you have to take more then once a day. once in the morning, and once at night. i buy mine on-line. (well, not pre-natals anymore, but my multi-vitamin, joint vitamin, and anxiety vitamin) and it has made a huge difference. its a good thing because they offer a 90 day guarantee on them that you definitely dont get at walmart.
    Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 9:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• check the labels, get the one with the most folixc acid. I use the one in wal-mart.... it's 9 dollars. not bad!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• anyone had any experience with the Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA Liquid Softgel?
    JeffsWifey09

Comment by JeffsWifey09 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The bottle says 800 mcg of Folic Acid and 27g iron
    JeffsWifey09

Comment by JeffsWifey09 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i've taken them..they worked great..they did not make me nauseous and they are easy to swallow which is a big thing.
    alyboo

Answer by alyboo at 9:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2010