How do you handle a spoiled baby?

I have agreed to keep my little baby grandaughter for 8 weeks so that she wouldn't have to go right to daycare. I done the same thing with her big brother. There is only one problem. When the baby girl was born she was sick and spent a week in the NICU. When she came home her mom was off with her for the first 8 weeks and she spoiled her rotten. She didn't intend to do it but we were all so thankful to have her home from the hospital and she spent all of her time at home with her when they came home. It just happened. Now she is here with me and I have a hard time. She is so precious but very demanding of my time. She wants to be held or talked to constantly, What do I do???

lisabug

Asked by lisabug at 8:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe that's just her personality. i don't think you can spoil a baby this young. is it really gonna hurt you to hold and talk to your grandchild?that's the best part of being a gramma!
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You talk to her and hold her constantly.... She's a baby of course she's demanding! 3 months ago she didn't eat by herself, breath by herself, nothing. She needs to be held, talked to, and loved. Babies cannot be spoiled and to suggest that they can be is just silly.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• No matter how much you try not to spoil a newborn~ it happens. I would suggest getting a bouncy seat with lights & motion. You can sit her in it & still talk to her while you're being busy. She'll also learn how to kick her feet & swing her arms to activate the lights & motion. If she's able to hold her head up, you can give her some "Belly Time" on a blanket on the floor with some toys. You may have to let her cry it out a bit. I'm not a big fan of that but when all else fails sometimes it the only thing you can do.
    nikk1331

Answer by nikk1331 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• At this age you CAN"T spoil an infant. Sometimes they can be demanding, but I think some babies just need more attention than others. My little one was the same way, and she was a relatively healthy infant. I held her and "spoiled" her. She is a fiercely independent 3 year old now. She loves to play by herself and do EVERYTHING on her own. I just bring this up, because I don't think a little extra cuddling and holding as an infant has had any negative effects. She is confident that I will always be there for her, and she trusts that I will take care of her. Sometimes I think that maybe little ones like this just feel a little lost in a big world and need extra reassurance. Good luck and enjoy you grand-daughter. :)

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:01 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You CAN "spoil" your infant. If you run to every beck and call at the drop of a hat they will expect this. With her being "spoiled" now it will take some time and attention to break this habit, but unfortunatly you have to do this b/c if not she will have a very rough time in daycare. They do not have time for constant one on one time at the daycare.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• There is no such thing as a "spoiled baby". That baby NEEDS to be held, carried, etc. a lot. It is what is best for her. Did you know that research shows that the more a baby is held and carried the first 6 months, they less they cry in the second 6 months? Did you know that in cultures where babies are "worn" constantly and nursed frequently (sometimes as often as a few times an hour) there is no such thing as "colic". Their babies cry significantly less.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I believe there is no such thing as spoiling a baby... plus how old is she anyways?
    Babies can't talk... they can't protect themselves.... they can't feed themselves or change their own diapers. They don't know any better. They are demanding, and just want to feel secure. Plus I really don't believe putting a baby in daycare... not until they are able to crawl/walk. And a daycare that doesn't have 'time' for constant care and love.... is not a good daycare at all. That's why I ask... how old is she?
    jrHowser

Answer by jrHowser at 11:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Get a sling or infant carrier so she can have the contact comfort she needs.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• At this age babies can't be spoiled! Some babies just need more attention than others.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• It is not possible to spoil a baby this young. She NEEDS to be held as often as she wants. And THIS is true bonding, so take advantage of it. You may never get such an opportunity again.

Now, when she's a toddler and you start slipping her cookies and candies? THAT is spoiling.

For now, go with it. The newborn rule: The newborn rules. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2008