• In the Spotlight:

I was just wondering?

Do people who are pro-choice also think that when a pregnant mom is murdered, the murderer should only be charged with one murder?

slick05

Asked by slick05 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that's kind of a silly question. First of all if someone is pregnant & someone murders them it is obviously against their will to be murdered. Of course they should be charged with 2 murders!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Don't know, don't care. I'm not a DA so it isn't up to me to decide.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You know this is an EXCELLENT question!!

I am Pro-Choice and I have never heard a question like this. In honesty, yes. The person should be convicted of 2 murders because they did kill two people. But, I know what you are trying to get at and no I don't think it's murder if a mother chooses to terminate a pregnancy in the first trimester. It is still a fetus at this time. Anything after the first trimester I think is wrong. But, I definitely see your point here.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:32 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Anon, maybe you didn't understand the question. People who are pro-choice don't think that it is murder to have an abortion, so I was wandering if those same people would think that when a pregnant mom is murdered, the person being charged with the murder should be charged on one count or two counts of murder.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Well, gee. Did they know she was pregnant? Was she showing at the time? Maybe it wasn't that obvious. What then? You're treading into very cloudy territory, but yeah, I also see what you're getting at. If the murderer should be charged with two murders, then a mother who aborts should be charged with one, right? You're so clever.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 9:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• to cluelessCarrie. I wasn't really thinking about weather a mother who has an abortion should be charged with murder, but that is a good question. I was more or less wondering if people who were pro-choice would also think that the murderer should only be charged with one murder. Because if they think the murderer should be charged with two murders doesn't that kind of contradict things.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Right. Okay. So, if it wasn't your intention all along to bring up the correlation between the two, why only ask the pro-choice? Doesn't everyone else have a valid opinion on the subject of murderers of pregnant women?

You're so coy. "but that is a good question". Yes, now that I've brought it up you're free to have an open debate about it.

CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 10:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• An ex-husband tells his estranged pregnant wife he is going to "stomp it out of her." Is this a case of murder of an unborn child?
    In 1969, Teresa Keeler, eight months pregnant, was beaten unconscious by her jealous ex-husband, Robert Keeler, who told her during the attack that he was going to "stomp it out of her." Later, at the hospital, Keeler delivered her little girl, who was still born and suffered from a fractured skull.

Prosecutors attempted to charge Robert Keeler with the beating of his wife and for the murder of the fetus, "Baby Girl Vogt" named with her fathers last name.

The California Supreme Court dismissed the charges, saying that only someone born alive could be killed, and that the fetus was not a human being.

Due to public pressure the murder statute was eventually amended to say that murder charges can only apply to fetuses older than seven weeks, or beyond the embryonic stage.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Kentucky is one of the latest states to recognize "fetal homicide" as a crime. Since February 2004, Kentucky law recognizes a crime of "fetal homicide" in the first, second, third, and fourth degrees. The law defines an "unborn child," as "a member of the species homo sapiens in utero from conception onward, without regard to age, health, or condition of dependency."

This came after the March 2001 tragedy involving 22-year-old Veronica Jane Thornsbury who was in labor and on her way to the hospital when a driver, under the influence of drugs, Charles Christopher Morris, 29, ran a red light and smashed into Thornsbury car and killed her. The fetus was stillborn.

The drugged driver was prosecuted on for the murder of both the mother and the fetus. However, because her baby was not born, state Court of Appeals overturned a guilty plea in the death of the fetus.

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• to cluelessCarrie. I asked pro-choice people because I figured pro-life people would all say that the murdered should be charged with two counts of murder because they believe that life starts when an egg is fertilized and abortion should be illegal. So I wanted to know if pro-choice people had double standards that's all. Being that the murderer should be charged with two counts of murder but that it was ok for a mom to have an abortion.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2008