What can I do about a blister forming heel from a running shoe?

I tied it as tight as it would go today and it still rubbed a blister at the back of my heel from a 5 minute test walk. I am just trying to get in shape.

What do I do besides pitch the shoes? They are fairly new, as in, I bought them a few years ago and never wore them. They sat in the box all this time. The brand is Asics, if anyone has specific experience with that.

LauraMi261

Asked by LauraMi261 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Yay for you Laura! I'm so happy to hear you're out walking. Re: the blister, you could try a thicker sock. Are you wearing thick athletic socks with them? If you are and you're still getting a blister, then you may need a different pair of shoes. If you don't want to get another pair, then as another poster suggested, you can put bandages or some other cushion there to try to prevent it.

I had a pair of running shoes that would cause a blister on my pinky toe every time I wore them. I finally went to an athletic shoe store and described the problem to the employee and she was able to determine what the problem was with this shoe, and recommend a different pair. I haven't had any blisters since :)

Keep me posted on your progress, both on the shoes and the exercise!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Trying different kind of sock material might help or just put band aid on every time your work out.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Moleskin is also another alternative. You can buy it at the drugstore and I always buy it when I go to conferences and lots of walking is involved. (with new shoes of course!)
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2010