Anyone ever use toddler bed setting from the crib then quickly just change to a full bed?

My 23 month son doesn't seem too be adjusting to the new arrangement. He naps in it fine. But he wakes up in the middle of the night and doesn't settle down. When my hubby isn't here for days at a time, I just let him be in bed with me. When my hubby is home, he takes him to the guest bedroom, since we also have a 9 month old to feed at night. My son will try to crawl into one of the 2 larger beds and get under the covers and say Night. So I am wondering if we should just try to put the full size mattress in his room. Or if it is too soon. We changed him on July 5. He hasn't always been the best sleeper, but his waking and literally thrashing and screaming is taking a toll. We aren't sure if there is another problem (nightmares, etc). I am just continuously at a loss!!

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 9:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd try the full size mattress. If it works you'll all be happier. I would just put it on the floor without a frame just in case he falls out or something.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If i had had it my way neither of my boys would have had a toddler bed.

...but alas, i was not their mom during those times so i could not make that choice.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i have 4 kids and have NEVER used a toddler bed, always thought they were a big waste....just used a full sized bed! i've had no problems and I don't believe anyone has fallen out....a couple kids used those side barriers and a couple I just used a pillow or 2 on the side.
    michellelvs4

Answer by michellelvs4 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Neither of my kids ever used a toddler bed. We went straight from a crib to the twin. We did put up a bed rail for a while.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• None of my 3 older kids ever used a toddler bed, they just went straight to either a twin (pushed up against the wall with a mesh rail on the unguarded side - the rails are cheap at WalMart!), or a full size bed. I don't plan on using a toddler bed with my 20 month old or my 2 weeks old either.

Answer by missanc at 10:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Our crib converts, you know, the front just comes off. So we didn't have to spend money on a toddler bed. But did buy the railing thing so he wouldn't fall out. But it can be used with a full size mattress. I would just put the mattress on the floor. I guess it is worth a shot at this point, it's not like we have any more sleep to be loosing, right?!?!
    2BlondeBabies

Comment by 2BlondeBabies (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010