What do you think is an appropriate budget for a birthday party?

How much would you spend between food, decorations, supplies, favors, ect..Also, how many kids do you think you should invite? Their whole class or just a few close friends?

Morgs7531642

Asked by Morgs7531642 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends on the age. As I got older I had more expensive parties. My DD is only 13 months so I haven't thought about it much!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• depends on what you can spend.
    My mom never bought favors or decorations. she just reused the same decorations from the year before. (for all 4 of her kids, no less).

The number of kids invited should depend on how old the kid is. If the child is 5 i think 5 other kids is more than enough.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We usually make the birthday's a big event for our kids. The last 2 years, I've let my son decide what he wants to do (within reason). We usually will do something that he wants to do with a few friends and then have a big family celebration. This seems to work fairly well because we have a huge family and we couldn't possibly take all of them to somewhere like Chuck E. Cheese. I usually try to keep the party budget at $50 or less but I almost always make the cake myself which is a big $$ saver.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I usually over do it. I bbq for about 30 people plus cake, decorations, pinata, presents. I spend any where from 300-500$. It's rediculous. Not this year though. I decided I'm not feeding all those people who only come for free food. This year DH and I decided we would take her some where she wants to go and then have cake and ice cream for close friends and family.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 10:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• There is no right answer. It's what you can afford and what you feel comfortable doing.

We don't really do big parties in our family. The kids get to pick between a home party with a few friends or a special event/trip with 2 - 3 friends. My DD has taken 1 or 2 friends to Build-A-Bear the last two years I tell each girl she has a budget of $20. :) They LOVE it. My son took two friends on a pirate cruise last year. This year it was a bounce-gym. It cost me less than $20 per child. I bring cupcakes and, depending on what we're doing, we may skip the goody bags.

We have friends that do full-class parties. I noticed this year there was a lot LESS of those than in previous years.I think it just gets to be too much for many people. It would have cost us over $300 to host the full class at the place my son took his 2 best friends this year. Instead we paid $40 total for 2 hours of bouncing and pizza. AND, it was all he wanted.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:46 PM on Jul. 22, 2010