Toddler bed?

My husband and I are arguing about whether to convert our son's crib to a toddler bed...I don't want to do this bc he is difficult to get to sleep and if he is in the toddler bed he will simply get up. He is only 22 months old and I think it is WAY to early...when did you convert your child's crib into a toddler bed?

shortleo

Asked by shortleo at 9:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just did and my son is 23 months. He doesn't get out of it a lot, but he isn't adjusting well. I too didn't want to convert yet. As he wasn't crawling out or anything. But my hubby knows it all and thought it had to be done.....why.....I am still not sure.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:51 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh my husband "knows it all" too and it makes me mad bc my husband is the one who complains that our son simply won't lay down and go to sleep!
    shortleo

Comment by shortleo (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• We switched my daughter at 23 months, but she had indicated she was ready. She was sleeping in a twin bed at my cousin's house for naps the occasional sleepover with her little cousin that is a year older. I was content to let her stay in a crib longer, but she showed us she was ready. I say if they aren't climbing out or indicating that they need to be out of a crib, there is no need to force it. I know some people converted much earlier than I did, but by waiting til my daughter was ready, I saved everyone in the house a lot of trouble.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I was told by my ds's Ped its best to leave them in the crib until about 3 or when they start crawling out. If they start crawling out, then its time, otherwise, they should stay put! :) My ds was 27 months when he started crawling out, so we transitioned him then, but would've left him in otherwise.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't think it sounds too early - some of my friends with kids around that age are just now switching, too. I understand what you mean though - my husband wants to switch our son to a toddler bed at 16 months for no reason at all! He's not crawling out or anything and sleeps just fine. I don't think it's too early for you though from what my friends are doing. :) But, it IS harder for them to sleep because they just want to get out and play or come and get in bed with you! ...or so I've heard, anyway!
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i transitioned my youngest at 28 months, she was probably the latest....but her arms and legs were sticking out and she was getting hurt....i'm not going back to crib bumpers, so we just moved her to the bed. fortunately none of my kids had problems getting out of bed....for the first few months they would call for me and "I" would get them up. she is starting to get out, but not bad. if they are not getting harmed or trying to get out, just leave them in a while longer....maybe try a bed for naps and test it out to get him ready for new rules of staying there?!? my other 3 kids....one was moved at 17 mos, and the other two probably around 2 y.o. if you do decide to transition, be consistent....put them in and if they climb out put them back, do that over and over again and eventually they will stay....it may take a little while and be trying, but consistency will work. good luck!
    michellelvs4

Answer by michellelvs4 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2010