Do you think pedophiles have a "choice"?

I've seen so many people debating whether being gay is a choice or not. I don't think is. Now, please keep in mind that I'm not comparing the two, it's just the debate got me thinking about other sexual preferences and whether or not they're a choice. I think being gay is totally fine, while I obviously think that pedophiles are sick and disgusting, so please don't think I'm comparing them, lol. Anyways, obviously pedophiles have the choice as to whether or not they act on their desires, but my question is, do you think they were born the way they are, or do you think it's a choice? I can't imagine that anyone would choose to like something so disgusting.

I guess I'll place this in R&B, considering it has to do with your belief on the subject.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 9:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I do not think they are born that way, and i do not think it is necessarily a choice.

Pedophiles are victims. They are victims of abuse. The majority of pedophiles were sexually molested as children themselves and the rest were usually abused in other ways.
    so no, it's not genetic and it's also not easy enough to be defined as a "choice".
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

•  What’s been found in recent research is an overwhelming majority of people guilty of child molesting, were molested themselves. I think they are a product of their environment and are not born that way.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Pedophiles are rapists and do it for the same reasons. They are sick, messed up, violent perverts who enjoy hurting other people, so, I guess it isn't a choice for them and that's why we want them locked away. Just like rapists, they want to get away with it, they are criminals. I'm not so much worried about the people on the sex offenders list (because sometimes it is a boyfriend/girlfriend thing) as the lonely, creepy guy who says odd things to watch your reaction and hasn't been caught ... yet.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I don't know if they have a choice to feel that way, but they do have a choice in whether or not they act on it. They are sick and twisted and don't care about anyone but themselves. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of anyone going for help when they discover that they find children attractive. I've never heard of anyone being fearful of themselves ruining an innocent child's life. It's always after the fact when they try saying they need help or that they "can't help it". I think it's just a pathetic cop-out because they don't want to be held accountable for their actions.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Having an attraction to children might be hard wired, but they don't have to act on it. They do have a choice in that area.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think it is a choice, and a sick one at that! It seems like nowadays instead of getting help or facing themselves, people just sugar-coat shit and call it a disorder. People have choices in everything they do IMO.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• NO, I don't. Again, this too has been proven. Studies on the pedophiles brain have proven that their brain reacts to Children the way the normal straight brain reacts to the opposite sex or the way a normal gay brain reacts to the same sex. However, like Gays and Straights we ALL have the CHOICE to act on our desires. I know many straight people who do not have sex and that control those impulses and many Gays who do the same. Pedophiles have this same choice and they CHOOSE to act on those urges. I feel for them because they have these urges in the first place, but the fact is that they do have the choice not to act on them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• YES! Hello, they took the time to choose a child, and invested energy into not getting caught. It is a premeditated act. They should have put that energy into getting therapy and removed themselves from the environment.
    I mean seriously, how many of us have "felt" like doing something we knew was wrong, but chose NOT to do it. It's the same thing, only on a bigger scale.
    For the people who say its a product of environment -- if they know what it's like to have it done to them, and how it messed them up, but choose to do it to someone else, I feel they are doubly guilty. How many rape victims go out and rape someone else because it was "done to them"?
    FYI the "average" pedophile molests 10 children before he/she is caught the first time.

If YOUR child was molested -- would you want that sick freak to get away with it because he didn't have a choice???
    Brandi61279

Answer by Brandi61279 at 6:20 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• actually, i dont think they have a choice. i dont know if i think they were born that way, but i think that maybe something in there life, unknowingly made them attracted to children. like something in there childhood subcionsiously made them be attracted to children and they probably just cant help it. it is sick and disgusting, and they all know its illegal, so why would they choose to be a pedophile? to them its normal. just like to me, i have no issues with early term abortion, but to someone else, its murdering an innocent baby. everybodys different.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• OutstnadingLove put it just perfectly. Great answer for her!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010