how long did it take your kids to learn how to tie shoes?

my 14 yearold still has troubles, it wasn't until he was about 10, my middle one took him about a week when he was 6 and my 7 yearold just learned in about 5 min today and is so proud of herself

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 9:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I didn't try with my daughter until she was in kindergarten, but she didn't get it at all. The summer after kindergarten I was telling my brother that we couldn't teach her, so he taught her in 5 minutes. Maybe she was more ready for it then, or more likely, she was more receptive to him teaching her than me.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Oh i'm loving this question. Sorry! My kids both still at ages 14 & 12 don't like to tie their shoes.LOL. But they did learn around 9 or so and would rather wear the velcro shoes over tieing.
    plstrm

Answer by plstrm at 1:23 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The first few tries were ugly and he gave up. We tried again a week later using a heavy piece of wire and he got it right away.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My son was 5 and took about 5 minutes as well. LOL The kindergarten teacher had him helping tie shoes in the class.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My 9 year old still has trouble getting it to stay tight. My older son learned in about a week.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 5 year old learned in about 2 or 3 days of only showing like 2 times each day!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My daughter taught herself when she was four.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I got a book about shoe tying when she was four. One half was red and the other was blue. She would work on it for hours at a time, and eventually figured it out. She is 6 now, and it tying everything. I think a lot of it depends on the kids. There are a lot of kids whose hand-eye coordination is not very good, and this may be why your oldest struggles.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My DS learned when he was 5. It took about a week to get the motions down then another week or two to work on getting the knots tighter so they would stay tied. He still has issues with this but is working on it. When he was learning we had a new pair of tie shoes waiting as an incentive to learn and practice. When I felt his tying was good enough he was allowed to wear his new shoes.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 12:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my son is 5 and doesnt know how to tie his shoes yet. he tried before but got mad so i dont force the issue. he knows the basic bunny ears concept but its a little hard for him.
    tayseansmom7505

Answer by tayseansmom7505 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 25, 2010