Has your toddlers ever refused to eat?

Today they refused to lunch and dinner and had little snacks everytime I make something they wont eat. Any ideas to get them eating or they just having a day where they don't want to eat? I gave them some pedisure to atleast give them some nutrients for the day but I wish they would eat. any ideas will help.

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 9:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do not give them anything to fill up. Children will not starve themselves. If they are hungry they will eat their meals.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Yep, we have that problem a lot these days. It is made worse by the fact that we just moved to Japan and the food is different. I have always been told they will eat when they are hungry. My approach is this, if she won't eat what I give her, then she goes to bed a little hungry. She will eat better in the morning and eventually learn that she is supposed to eat what she is given. I don't intentionally fix foods I know she won't eat. I offer foods I know she can and will eat if she is hungry. If she doesn't pig out at one meal though, I don't stress because she will usually make up for it at the next meal.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my son is 14 months old & he would not eat at all today! the only thing he would eat is a cookie and crackers. i made him cereal with banana, speggati & meatsauce, refused it all! yesterday all day he did the same thing, until about 6 pm, he started eating. i think his molers are comming in and maybe it hurts and so he doesnt want to eat.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• this---Do not give them anything to fill up. Children will not starve themselves. If they are hungry they will eat their meals.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My son does that quite often one day then a couple days later he will eat EVERYTHING he sees...i guess it's a balancing act :)
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 9:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My pediatrician always said that kids will eat when they get hungry. My youngest was the pickest eater in the world. There were lots of meals that he wouldn't eat. I always made sure that he had plenty of fluids so he wouldn't get dehydrated but never would and still don't try to make him eat.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• thanks that helps to know I am not the only one. My youngest has his molars coming in but this is the first time for him not eating he is usually our vacuum. we will see what tomorrow brings.
    Claudiomom

Comment by Claudiomom (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my 2 yr old is awful about it!!! It so drives me crazy! I usually just give him so long to make an attempt then put it up till he either comes to me saying he's hungry or time for his next meal whichever comes first!! He's slowly getting beter but is it frustrating lol. Good luck mama!!!
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 10:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Umm..pretty much all day every day. This kid is a real PITA when it comes to eating!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Your first problem is giving them snacks when they won't eat. BAD IDEA. You're teaching them "Okay, if we don't eat our dinner we'll get a snack. So we won't eat lunch either and we'll get a snack." That's a horrible pattern to start setting. Especially when they're young. What you should do is set the food in front of them and say "You're not leaving this table until you've finished your meal." Stick to your punishment by making them stay at that table until they've finished their meals. Don't give in and give them something else. They are given the food that they're going to eat and you're not going to tolerate anything else. Be the parent.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2010