Are there any African Americans that are voting for McCain?

I am asking this question because there have been several Obama supporters who are so quick to say that anyone voting for McCain must be a racist. So if someone is African American and they are voting for McCain does that make them racist against their own race? Also if people are voting for Obama only because he is African American doesn't that make those people racist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It seems like very few but yea, there are. I have seen it on some of their pages and siggys!
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Of course there are African Americans voting for McCain! It's absurd to think that everyone who is black is going to vote for him just because he is bi-racial. The very insinuation is racist! And I don't think anyone believes that every person who votes for McCain is racist. He belongs to a different party with a completely different platform. I think a very large number of McCain supporters are voting for him because the agree with him on the issues. I DON'T but at least I can appreciate that not everyone who doesn't agree with me is a racist. And I don't even know how to wrap my head around your "racist against their own race" question... Um. No.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 9:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• to ClueIessCarrie I didn't state that everyone who is African American is going to vote for him just because he is African American. I merely asked the question because there have been several Obama supporters who automatically respond that if you are not voting for Obama you are racist. So I wanted to know what those supporters would say to the African American people who are voting for McCain.  That is why I used the "racist against their own race" comment.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Well, I've never heard or read anything saying that if you are not voting for Obama you are racist. If the rest of the sentence is... because he is black, Then, yeah, it's racist.

And your main question in bold was "Are there any African Americans that are voting for McCain?". Forgive me if that doesn't sound like you are asking if all African Americans are voting for Obama.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 10:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• CluelessCarrie. I asked the question that way because I wanted to grab peoples attention. I have read several questions on here regarding McCain/Palin and there are several people who have responded if your not voting for Obama it is because you are racist. I personally am voting on what a candidates qualifications are and what they stand for. Not the color of their skin. The question was more directed toward the people who keep responding the only reason you are not voting for Obama is because you are a racist. I wanted to know what those people would say to African Americans who are not voting for Obama. I guess I should have worded the question differently, sorry.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Don't be sorry. You're anonymous.
    It's hard for me to imagine anyone simply stating that a vote for anyone other than Obama is a racist vote, but if they said that, they are really, really dumb.
    I will leave you to wait for them to respond.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 10:40 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I think that as a woman, I felt a tremendous amount of pressure to vote for Hilary because she was a woman. I would have to assume that the African-American community feels the same amount of pressure.

However, to say that I should have voted for Hilary because I am a girl is to say that all women face the exact same issues, hold the exact same values, and want the exact same representation. So, to say that African-Americans would be voting for Obama is saying that all African-Americans have the exact same values, worry about the same issues, and want the exact same representation. It just isn't true. We are all individuals, and I am sure their are plenty of people voting for McCain and the other parties as well as voting for Obama.

FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 10:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I would like to point out - these are never questions when two white men are running against each other. For some reason, we are all allowed to find our individual path as long as everyone running looks and pees the same.
    FiveofaKind

• have a nice dayClueless: There have in fact been MANY threads here on CM that eluded to the fact that if you were not voting for Obama you were obviously racists. I think it has more to do with the poster of those threads believing that Obama is the obvious choice a crossed the board and not understanding how someone might not think along those same lines. Thus making it out to be if Obama weren't AA then more people would be voting for him. Now don't get me wrong I don't think in the slightest that those voices are the majority but rather the minority. Yet with all of that being said.. the Anon poster is correct.

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:19 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I have been told that because I am not voting for obama I am a racist. Honestly his race has nothing to do with it I just think he is a stupid inexperinced SOB But thats the great thing about america I have the right to think that way same as they have the right to think I am rasicst because I wont vote for him.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2008