changing schools

Next year is middle school for our child and we are thinking of changing schools because the district we are in is 14 miles away and the school we are thinking of putting our child in is only 4 miles away. Our child wants to be in sports and we are thinking ahead about how much traveling it will take. Do you all know how much time has to be dedicated? Plus achademically we have heard great reviews about this school. We are also concerned just about the aspect of if it's a bad thing to change schools at middle school time socially. Any suggestions out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• We have moved around a lot thanks to my husband's job and my kids have always adjusted well to going to a new school. It will take time but just because he is going to a different school doesn't mean he has to give up his friends and he will make new friends also.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Yes, I do. My daughter just finished her middle school grades and is now in highschool and if they are even remotely wanting to be involved, then you will be running back and forth. Most of the time practice for any sport is right after school until about 5 ish and then the football games, or wrestling matches or whatever they are involved in and also the activites. She regularly stayed after to work on projects with other kids for the science fair and we only live about 5 miles so that was good. I swear I feel I like am always going to drop her off or pick her up. Shes very social. The high school is next to the middle school, so basically I am going to the same place.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Middle School is a great time to change schools. The 6th/7th/8th grade years are full of change for kids socially, with different peer groups every year as kids sort themselves out. Kids at the school now will be looking for fresh faces and new friends and welcome your child.( That has been the experience at my kids school in the ms years) The sports with take up a couple of hours after school for practices and games ( no weekends) , but it's really worth it for their health and well-being. Gets them out of the library and off the computer and build self-esteem and school spirit. Trusts your instincts and go for it...
    satellitesister

Answer by satellitesister at 8:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My stepson moved in with us last year. We let him finish 6th grade in his old school (20 minutes each way) It was worth it for last year, but moved him to our district for 7th grade. It has gone without a hitch... If you change now, you will automatically move on to the closer high school, too. All I know is that it makes life much easier for EVERYONE!
    PattiDons

Answer by PattiDons at 10:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2008