Work in a nursing home?

Besides medical careers what other jobs are there to work in nursing homes? How well do they pay? I love working with the elderly. I love helping people. But I dont have any sort of degree and as of right now I can't afford to go back to school. Maybe in the future but not right now.
If you work in a nursing home/assisted living, how do you like your job? What are the pros and cons?

maddoxsmama

Asked by maddoxsmama at 10:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I see ads in the paper for activities director all the time. Some prefer a little bit of college, while some just want any experience working with the elderly.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• JeremysMom is correct, that is a very good option. The only other's that I know of are office worker, janitor, assistants and nurses, occasionally they might have a respiratory therapist on duty.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:49 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• There are some that have activites like bingo, game nights etc. Kitchen & dining room staff. Beauty and barbar shops.

But to work hands-on with the residents day to day, most places will require you to be at least a CNA. In a nursing home, people need medical care. There are some places that will provide you with the CNA training at their facility and pay for you to take the exam. My suggestion is go to a nursing home and visit first, maybe volunteer to read or play games with residents first. You might find that your idea of a nursing home is really more of a retirement home.

At a retirement home, on the other hand, you could probable get a wider range of jobs, like house cleaning for them, or chauffering them around for outings. Those seniors are usually healthier and more mobile.
    Brandi61279

Answer by Brandi61279 at 6:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Also administration and medical billing

Answer by rkoloms at 11:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• without any kind of schooling....nursing home jobs are going to be hands off the residents.....janitorial, housekeeping, CNA if they train ther own and you can pass the certification exam, maybe food prep but alot of times they want a degree in nutrition....
    you will need training for admin and medical billing requires certification too.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 12:54 AM on Jul. 25, 2010