When can toddlers start preschool?

Does anyone know what the age is to start preschool. And how to find out what schools take that age?

GabyandAnnasMom

Asked by GabyandAnnasMom at 10:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 2 year old just started at an in home preschool for a few hours twice a week.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Public schools where we live have preschool, preK classes for 4 year olds. If you are taking them to a day care, or learning center, where you pay, it is age 3. Age 2 is still considered toddler age group.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My pre-k class at our public school is 4 by September 1st. Usually under that is going to be daycare or an early childhood center.
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 10:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• In my state, we have a Head Start program that is income based for 3 year olds, and we also offer pre-K free for those who qualify based on income through our school district. Most private daycares offer a pre-k program that follows the school district's curriculum. Pre-k style classes are starting to be offered to as young as 18-month-old in my area. It's nothing rigorous, although most of the children in the 3 year old class are beginning to read and write. It just mostly gets kiddos used to the schedule so pre-k and kindergarten is not such a shock. It's proven very successful in our school district.

Start calling your local school district, and see if they have recommendations. If not, start calling daycares and schedule interviews to go over their curriculum.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 10:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Depends, the age here is 4 but my son has speech problems so they started him a year early so he could get the help he needed.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Here for public...it is 4 unless at a daycare. If you go private, you can start at 2.5 years old. We started at 2.5. It was only 2 days/week for 2.5 hours each day. We opted private b/c it was a better education and less hours. We did not want him in for 8 hours. Just enough to socialize.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Most preschools start children at 3 years old.

I called the school district and spoke to them about preschool options.
    kangel48446

Answer by kangel48446 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You'll need to look around at schools in your area. it can vary a lot. Where I am, most schools start at 3 but there are programs that will take 2 and 2 1/2 yr olds.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010