changing schools

Next year is middle school for our child and we are thinking of changing schools because the district we are in is 14 miles away and the school we are thinking of putting our child in is only 4 miles away. Our child wants to be in sports and we are thinking ahead about how much traveling it will take. Do you all know how much time has to be dedicated? Plus achademically we have heard great reviews about this school. We are also concerned just about the aspect of if it's a bad thing to change schools at middle school time socially. Any suggestions out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Since you mentioned the "S" word (socially) I'm going to assume you are not considering the homeschool route. However, it would be much easier that way. He can participate in all kinds of things through the YMCA, community centers, etc and he'll have MORE time to do sports. Homeschool isn't sitting at a table for 7 hours a day like public school is. He'd be done in a few hours and have the rest of the day to take part in his interests. Just letting you know of another option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Keep in mind that MOST school districts will not let home-schooled kids participate in team sports and honestly, if you home-school and don't want your child IN the school but want them ON the school team then you are being a hypocrite. I home-schooled my children for 6, 8 and 9 years and they started school in 10th, 9th and 7th grades. They wanted to be involved in sports, drama, band and other school activities and our school district doesn't allow home-schooled kids to participate and honestly, why would I have fought to have them be allowed to participate in school activities when I didn't want them IN the school? That makes no sense to me.
    Anonymous

• Go with the middle school that has better academics which will help your child in the long run and allow your child to be involved in any and all activities that they want to be in. Homeschooling is great for the elementary age but there does come a time when kids who want to play sports and be in things like drama, band, choir, etc. should be IN school. They do do things that home-schooled kids don't. Homeschooling is a great avenue and kids DO get socialized, it isn't 7 hours at a desk doing school work but there ARE benefits to going to school too. It's not an evil place. I say this AS a former homeschooling mom whose kids did great while home-schooled and who made the transition to school with no issues. They liked being home-schooled and they like going to school.
    Anonymous

• Kids do not need to be in public or private school to enjoy those activities. I don't understand why people think that public school is the only place that offers these things?! The only things I can think of that public schooled kids DO that homeschooled kids DON'T are having to stash your crap in a locker, dealing with bullies, having a dress-code, overload of homework, rude teachers, riding the big yellow bus, etc...lol.

Hey, as long as your kids are happy and are able to participate in whatever it is they want (within reason). I was just stating MY opinion on the homeschool route and I'm aware that there are still people living in the dark about it.
    Anonymous

• Personally I can't see the downside to the switch you are considering.  You stated a better education and 10 miles closer to home.  Which means, less time spent on gas and commuting and more of a chance for your child to play with the local kids that attend the new school.  As for fitting in or missing the friends from his past school, that may be sticky for a bit, but all of them are there short term anyhow as high school is right around the corner.

You didn't say which sports you were looking into, but from my experience, pretty much all kids sports take up a lot of time.  Football was every other day, as was cheering.  Baseball (when in season) is continuous and hockey or skating is pretty much daily.

Good luck.

Pauline03

Answer by Pauline03 at 7:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I switch my daughters school at the end of elementry, Almost all of her friends went one middle school, I sent her to another, the same thing at high school. Academically and socially they were two of the best decisions I made despite the kicking and screaming that accompanied the decisions.
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 11:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2008