How do I tell him?

So I have a super new awesome and very nice landlord. He told me that we can start moving our stuff in two weeks early (BTW also two weeks before he will receive his first months rent payment and he has only received our $200 security deposit thus far and is ALREADY letting us move stuff in... VERY nice guy).
Well, the other day I stopped in and showed the house off to my friends and noticed (as the kids dug throuh EVERY drawer and cabint in the ouse, lol) that the previous tenant had left her washing machine and other various items when she left.
I called the landlord the next day andhe stated that he had purchased the washer and dryer set from her and would be ack to get it before we moved in officially (which I am fine with). Well, I asked him casually when she would be done moving out and when his cleaning lady would be done cleaning and he stated everything was done and he had received the keys.
(Continued below)

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• speaking from experience, u have to tell him. we moved into a house that was trashed and because the land lady was being nice and letting us move in in such short notice, and lease month to month; we didn't say anything and cleaned up ourselves. we did tell her there was some damage and she said she already saw it and not to worry. so when we moved out she wanted us to pay for the crap the other people did. and she got mad that we painted over the walls (that had lude markings and words written on it), thought we needed to pay for the carpet that the other people pulled up (didnt say a thing about how we had already paid to get the wood floors waxed) so i would diffently tell him that the house still needs to be cleaned up and looked at to make sure if there is any damage and be sure that if there is to make a note of it in the lease. that way u dont have to pay for anything u didnt do and u can get ur deposit back
    teddybear2272

Answer by teddybear2272 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Ask if him if the cleaning lady had come through the house yet. She might not. If he says she has, ask him to come look at the house in the condition you found it in. Don't clean up.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:48 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Have you already signed the final lease? I would be wary of him. This might be a look into how he deals with future problems. Ones that are more serious. Just because he's nice doesn't mean he's a good landlord.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• you have to let him know about your situation that way he will be able to fix it before you move in.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 10:33 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Take pictures
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would talk to him again (before cleaning anything up) and tell him that you remember that he had told you that the house had been cleaned and that you were concerned because it obviously had not. You wanted to call him to let him know just in case he wanted to get his money back. And then ask him what should be done with what is there now. It is possible that he might be expecting you to clean up the house and if so A) make sure you document it and B) Make sure you get a cleaning fee taken out of your rent.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would bring it to his attention cuz you maybe doing him a favor as he might be paying a cleaning person for work they DID NOT DO......THEN I WOULD TAKE PICTURES AND DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cuz I guarantee you...the previous tenant might have broken something or left a BIG stain and he will try to charge YOU when you move out. I would also see about having the locks changed and be VERY careful within the next 2 weeks that the old tenant shows up looking for their stuff....seems to me they are taking off pretty hastily
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• just tell him nicely it doesnt look like she did a good job
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 3:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2010

• i couldnt find the rest of the post
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 10:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Today I brought some stuff over and got a REALLY good look at the house.

The floors haven't been swept, there is stuff in almost every drawer of the house (lots of stuff too and lots of trash). The bathub and walk-in shower have soap, shampoo bottles, old razors, etc in them. There is trash outside (same trash that was there when I looked at the house and the lady was moving out - junk trash from around the house) and tons of stuff under the house in the storage area. At least a good few van fulls of junk and trash that I would have to haul away if I do it. Not to mention a broken up something (lol, not sure what it was - desk? dresser?) scattered through the house and under the house.
    I don't know how to present this to him or how to say it, etc. I don't want him to hav paid her and she didn't do ANYTHING to clean the house (cleaning lady).

What should I do and say?

I don't want to be the annoying new tenant!
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010