Just needing some good advice.

Im looking into getting a used car next month which should be 1500 dollars down. But what i needed advice on is my girls and i are getting ready to start out on our own and have nothing no furniture or anything. So we looked into a place called Extended stay america they provide monthly rates at 799.00 and provide furniture, dishes and seems perfect for us. I was also thinking about a apt but really dont have the extra money right now to buy new furniture, and all the accesories for the apt such as dishes etc,. Some one help me out with what the smartest and easiest route would be for us. Thanks and your answers are very appreciated.

GabyandAnnasMom

Asked by GabyandAnnasMom at 10:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• hmm the furnished place sounds good for now. and u can always use it for a year and save during that time for things of your own
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I have not ever heard of Extended Stay of America. If you want to get your own apartment then you can always post on your local free cycle saying you are looking for furniture for your place. Also try the second hand stores.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I can't tell you what to do because only you know your situation. 800.00 a month seems reasonable if it comes with everything you mentioned, but will paying that stop you from moving forward? If you pay that will you still be able to save for your own place? Is 1500.00 the total price of the car or do you have to make payments also? Can you afford to do that and pay for insurance and car repairs?Email me if you need to vent, and I can listen.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• 800 a month is high. You can garage sale for furniture, dishes, etc. I once furnished my apt for $150 by garage sale-ing. You can buy plates & silveware at the dollar store. I've seen 4 pc place settings including silverware & cup for $40 at Meijer. Anything you can't find at garage sales you can try freecycle, Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other resale shops. I think you'd be better off in the long run to find a cheaper apt & furnish it yourself.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Extended Stays can be a good option for you with your current situation. No first and security deposit so this could be perfect for you to get your feet on the ground. The most important thing to consider is location and safety for you and your children. I empathize with what you are going through. It is unsettling but you will pull through it. Prepare a plan and make sure you take time daily to just breath.

While I agree a bit with the answer from motherofhope98, the stress of looking for stuff right now could be overwhelming. There is also the chance of spending on stuff you can do without for the time being. I applaud you for reaching out to seek advice. You are a smart girl for doing it.

Keep you head high and your inner strength going. Set your target and hit it.

All the success in the world to you. I will pray for your safety and well being.
    MasterMindMom

Answer by MasterMindMom at 7:51 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Why don't you buy a used car that you can pay cash for, and keep saving?

Answer by rkoloms at 11:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• If it were me, I would buy a car that cost $1500 with the $1500 that you have and pay cash outright for it. I would find a cheap apartment and I would check Craigslist and Freecycle for the things you need to furnish it. That way you would have extra money to save for when emergencies occur (and they will).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2010