Naps

How many naps and for how long should my 8 month old should be taking? He wakes up at 5:30 a.m. and naps for no more than 30 minutes twice a day on a good day...I am worried because he is usually very cranky. How can I make him take more naps

blessingAH

Asked by blessingAH at 10:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wear him in a wrap or sling and if he falls asleep, he falls asleep and you can go about your business. He'll likely sleep longer as a lot of babies sleep longer and deeper when in proximity to activity rather than alone in a quiet room. Or you can take the opportunity to nap with him. Since you are taking an hour anyway why not just lay down :) Just remember that he won't necessarily nap at exactly the same time or same length every day. He, however, may be feeling lonely and not secure so isn't comfortable sleeping for long.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Babies are different. That may be all the time your baby needs to nap. Being fussy doesn't mean baby needs to nap more.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Most babies that age are getting ready to transition from 2 naps a day to one nap a day.

How do you lay him down for nap? do you have a routine yet? Do you let him fall asleep on you, or rock him?

The most important thing is a routine. Make sure that nap time happens the same way every day as much as possible. A good way is to sing a few songs, read a few books, rock him and sing or lay him down in his crib and sing and pat his back. ...some kind of routine.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• You need to encourage longer naps. If he wakes up fussing I would let him stay a while and see if he falls back to sleep. If after a half hour he doesn't go to sleep than get him up. Try this for a couple days and see what happens.
    proudmomof2452

Answer by proudmomof2452 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• My dd is 8 months and naps twice a day from 10:30 until 12:00 12:30 then again 3:30 until around 5:00. I'm not sure how to extend his naps. Sometimes when I put her in for a nap she just talks for a long time but she eventually goes to sleep. I stick to the schedule if I can and just put her into her crib. I would also let him fuss a bit before getting him he might go back to sleep.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• what makes me think he needs more time napping is that he wakes up and he continues scratching his eyes!!! I sing and walk him to sleep and cometimes it takes me an hour for him to fall asleep and he sleeps just 15 minutes!!!
    blessingAH

Comment by blessingAH (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• good question, thanks
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Make sure you feed him right before his nap either formula or breastmilk whichever. My 17 month old is still taking 2 hour and a half long naps per day. If he gets up at 5:30 am try to lay him down at 11:30 because if he is too tired then he won't sleep long either. Good luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:16 PM on Jul. 22, 2010