Why was he able to arrest her?

My friend was under the impression that she had the OK to buy equipment and rent from another business owner. Instead she found out that the guy had already signed a contract with another party. By that time this happened the business owner and other party called the cops (long details) on my friend and said that she tried to commit fraud! Truthfully the owner lied to both my friend and the other party. My friend came over to my house and when she got here the cops came shortly after. I invited them in and with out any confrontation from us the police arrested my friend. Im wondering HOW COULD THEY RIGHTFULLY DO THIS? She is being charged with theft by deception (realtor). But if this is a civil matter how and why did the cops arrest? The charge is from the business owner, and no police was there to witness any crime. Yet my friend is in jail. Any advice? PS we are in the state of Ga.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Depends... Its a misdemeanor unless the property is over 500.00 if it was MORE than 500.00 she can face up to 10 years in prison.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Can't they arrest someone and hold them for so long without filing charges anyway? It doesn't mean she'll still get charged with it, right?
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• wow hope everything works out!
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It's for publicity somehow for the crookedest party in the equation.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• She is being charged for theft right. Well since she didn't know she can plead down to a misdemeanor of possession of stolen property with out intent. Whether you know it's theft or not you can be arrested. Though she may be able to get out of it completely if she can prove that she rented it from the guy with consent.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• She needs all the papers she signed and get a lawyer.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Plead? I'd plead not guilty She needs a lawyer.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• If she and the other party were deceived, they need lawyers and any paperwork they can get their hands on. The fraud wasn't on her part from what you shared.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010