QUICK: Has this happened to you? What can he do?

My boyfriend has been attending ACU for 2 years now. And all of a sudden apparently the school isn't giving him enough loan money for housing. They are giving him all the aid he needs except for that! I think his mom doesn't know what she is talking about with all this. I feel like she doesn't want him to go there bc I will be going there. Anyways..that's diff story. But has this happened to you or anyone you know where you got all the aid except for housing?? What can he do to help? I keep telling him to personally call his financial aid officer and ask for help but he's depending on his mom for answers. I told him he should be considered independent but supposedly that's not gonna work. that was the ONLY way IIII was able to go to school. I think she just wants the tax money. Anyways...thoughts??

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sometimes he does happen because the school doesn't have enough funding or grants
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• *it
    mommy_of_two388

• My son is 22, owns his own home, was immancipated in court, and has never been claimed on either him father or my taxes and he still can't be an independent student. It's very hard to be an independent student if you are under 14. However, the college shouldn't even be able to talk to the mother unless he gives permission. He should be the one talking to them.

Typical aid is grants and loans. The money can be used for anything after tuition is paid. If he isn't getting enough money for housing he can get a job and pay for his own housing. He needs to check with financial aid and make sure that won't cause any problems with his other financial aid.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• OK...I need to back track for a minute. Theres some mis communication going on here. Alright here's the deal.....if you owe more than 2500 before a semester starts then you can't register for classes. So he has to have 800 to get below 2500 but he NEEDS a cosigner because if he just pays that off...by the end of the semester he will owe MORE and he won't be able to go back in January.

Does that make sense? So I guess he is trying to find a cosigner. And no one in his family will do it. Or they have terrible credit. This blows.
    Keeely07

Comment by Keeely07 (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i agree with gailll
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I'm 21 and I'm an independent student. I'm also a single mother...idk if that makes a difference.
    Keeely07

Comment by Keeely07 (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2010