Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Domestic violence and father wants custody

Father wants 50% of my 5 month old baby's time. There has been domestic violence in the relationship. I have called the police apprx four times and he went to jail three times. He called them on me once. How do you think a judge will see this? I live in the state of AZ.

Answer Question

Asked by justmeandbrooke at 11:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 3 (26 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Probably isnt going to happen. He'll probably get court supervised visits for a while till they think he's okay to have normal visits and after a while he can try for custody

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • Oh hell no! If he has been in jail for domestic violence he'd better not get custody of a baby :( You did say he called on you....were any of these REAL domestic violence issues? The judge is going to view YOU harshly as well if it were true. Maybe you could look into parenting classes or anger management classes to help you...and maybe the judge will take that into consideration. And if the judge allows the dad to have the baby, then he better require either supervised visits or anger management classes for him too.

    Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • What if they were dismissed???

    Comment by justmeandbrooke (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • It's a mom state so his chances or already slim, now there even less. I'm from AZ if you need help let me know.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • they will only be dismissed if you dont show up for the court hearings

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • I would not agree to 5o% custody because he is dangerous I would ask for supervised visits & soul custody.. also I would ask that he take anger management & parenting classes. I would show the judge his criminal record & ask that it be entered into as evidence as to why you are asking for supervised visits. the child is so young even if he was the greatest dad in the world if the baby has been mostly taken care of by you he still wouldn't see her 50% of the time unless you agreed.

    Answer by maiahlynn at 11:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • I disagree I don't think the judge would view her harshly if he went to jail & she did not .. if he only called the cops on her it will look like revenge.. even if the charges were dropped.. state in your motion he has a history of violence & you fear for your childs safety so you are requesting supervised visits in her best interest. If the baby is with you right now & you are the one caring for her then your chances of getting custody are high. If he has the baby you will have to state why she is with him if he is dangerous.. Get a lawyer if you can

    Answer by maiahlynn at 11:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

  • In the state where I live MS, he would not be able to. You need to get a restraining order active on him and just keep allerting the police if he comes near you, your family, or your friends, he will go to jail. I am a Domestic Violence victim honey. I have made a group on here called Domestic 911. It is for this, to get you help, to show you that you are not alone, and to help you find peace. When you feel like your world is crashing down on you. I know. I have been there. I had a gun to my head that was cocked and loaded. I had a bad case of it happen to me. But I survived and bc I did I think it is my right to tell others about DV as I call it and try to prevent this awful thing from spreading. Pls help me

    Answer by courtneyrogers at 4:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.