my first c-section tomorrow and worried!

i have to have a c-section tomorrow and im really scared! im more worried about the spinal block though. i hate needles and im afraid i wont get numb fast enough.

amanda202010

Asked by amanda202010 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• the epidural you mean? it was fine! didnt hurt me at all and i felt great after i got it.
    actual surgery, wasnt that bad. kinda sucked, i felt a little nauses & had the shivers but as soon as they were done they gave me meds that fixed that right away. the surgery was short too, and an hour and a half later, i had my mom bring me mcdonalds and i scarfed it down, it was so good. the hospital was telling me i shouldnt eat because i would throw up but i was so hungry, and i def didnt throw up.
    recovery, was pretty fucken painful but it got alot better after 2 weeks & 2 weeks isnt all that long. hopefully you have some help for while your recovering. my mom was a big help.
    GL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Congratulations! They prepare you so fast and are such professionals!
    Hugs to you and your Baby!
    sportemom

Answer by sportemom at 11:32 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Don't worry... everyone there knows what they are doing and are there for you and your baby to be safe. If you have a question be sure to ask... ask as many as you have that is what the staff is there for. You can keep asking questions even after they've started your surgery. I've never had a C section, but i help the doctors deliver where I work. They will be sure that you are numb before the surgery starts and if you start to feel anything just let them know. Good luck, I hope everything goes fast and perfectly for you!
    BabyColeman1

Answer by BabyColeman1 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Okay, listen to me. Calm down, lol! I was this same way about 10 months ago, at this time of night. it was the day before, and I was scared to death. And you know what? It was all for nothing. Let me start with tomorrow morning. First of all, in the time that you're getting prepped for surgery, you'll be thinking of how in about an hour, you'll have your baby! They'll give you an IV first. Then you'll get the spinal block. It doesn't hurt necessarily, but I won't lie, it feels really weird. You won't see the needle though, and it only takes a few minutes. You'll start feeling warm all over, and then your legs will slowly go numb...and let me tell you, you will be numb fast enough, lol. By the time it's over, you'll be numb within 5 minutes. It's a little scary at first, because you literally cannot feel anything. Don't worry about not being numb enough, lol. You literally wouldn't even known someone had touched you AT ALL cont
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I had a spinal block and believe me, you will be numb fast. You will be numb from about the nipples down and it will feel like you can not breath because of where you are numb at, and it might freak you out a bit. Afterwards, I had a spinal headache that last 3 weeks so beware of those. Good Luck and congrats on your new baby to be! And go in thinking it is the worse pain ever and it will not be so bad.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• May i ask why you need the c-section?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• cont..

You literally wouldn't even known someone had touched you AT ALL if they punched you in the leg, lol. Just breathe, and remember that the numbing is only temporary. You'll have to have a catheter, but I let them know I wanted it inserted after I was numb. They said that was great, and I literally had no idea when they put it in, lol. The spinal block did make me dry heave really bad, and that happens with about 6/10 women, but if you're feeling really sick, they can give you anti-nausea medicine, which I took. It made me a little loopy, but I was still awake. All I felt was a tiny, tiny bit of tugging when they took him out. There was NP pain. I got to kiss him and see him as soon as he was out, and then watched him get weighed and tested. My husband then held him, and I was sewn up, which literally only seemed like 5 minutes. Then, my son was in my arms. I was numb for about 8, but that night I was waling around. cont
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• my doctor gave me a ultrasound and the baby is turned wrong and it said that he would be 9lbs12oz
    amanda202010

Comment by amanda202010 (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i had a csection monday,my 2nd one, and it isnt bad.just listen to what the doctors tell u. after u get the epidural u can tell them how u feel and they will reassure u of everything. its only like 30min in all, once your holding your baby, u will feel fine.

tell the doctors to tell u like a minute b4 they take the baby out, so u can be prepared to breath right!! they said it as they did it this time and it scared me, lol,but its just for a couple seconds u willfeel the tugging.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• cont...

I'll be honest, lol, they won't let you eat solids until you pass gas, and you'll be eating liquids for the first part of the day most likely. I highly recommend asking for stool softeners right away. My friend told me to do it, bc after c sections it can be hard to go. It totally made it less painful and easy. Anyways, embarrassing stuff aside, you'll be sore, but I just felt like I had done a TON of sit-ups. You'll most likely have a pain pump, which is a bag of pain meds leading into your incision. It's not as bad as it sounds. Anyways, the recovery isn't that bad either. You'll be fine, and best of luck! Try not to worry...just lok forward to your baby, and the relaxing days of being pampered in the hospital. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, but I think I covered it, lol. Sorry this is so long, but as someone who was also scared, I wanted to help. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010