flooding

so right now i live in my parents basement while in school. it is a mess it has minor flooding whenever it rains hard - its july rain is a given- and then a hose became unattached to the central air conditioning unit = flooding - we have carpet. it horrible we have fans and a dehumidifier right now. my parents say the carpet isnt ruined and everything will be okay. I just want to get through school - I am pregnant. i have 6 more classes left after this summer.

encouraging words? i am depressed

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 11:33 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• good luck

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• it could be worse!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• if the carpet is soaked i am typically told to throw it out right away - its not fixable. is this true??
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It could be worse, and it can (and will) get better! Good luck to you!good

CarrieLeester

Answer by CarrieLeester at 11:36 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• if you have a rug shampooer, use that to get up the water. It does not mean that it is ruined, just needs to get dried out pretty fast before mold sets in. If no rug shampooer, the fans will work but take a little longer. I live in my parents basement as well (do to my husband loosing his job and now us trying to get all debt paid) so I feel you on that. Things could be a lot worse, no home. I knew a person who lived in his car for a month cause he didnt have a place to live. He would shower at any friends house that would let him.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:44 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• oh no thats so sad vickwu! thank you though i am a single parent so i feel so alone. things are piling up right now...
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Even if you manage to get the surface of the carpet dry, if the backing and padding underneath are wet, the WILL NOT DRY unless you actually pull the carpet back. And if it doesn't dry, you can be sure that the pad will start growing mold. Plus, since it was outside water that's been coming in with the rain, it's chock full of microorganisms and bacteria. It's supposed to be replaced. At the very, very least if your parents won't call out a company who handles water damages, then pull the carpet back, cut the pad out and put your fans on the carpet to dry it. Spray the floor and the front and backside of the carpet down with Lysol. You can purchase some new pad to put in, then try to relay the carpet. You won't be able to re-install it like a professional does, but it beats having mold growing underneath.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:33 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't risk it if I were you. You don't want to be around mold.......especially if you are pregnant.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2010