how can i teach my fifteen month old to talk

my little boy knows how to say whats that and mama and dada and whos this and watch this but i can't get him to say down or up or stuff like that what should i do?

angel232007

Asked by angel232007 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep talking to him and reading to him. The more he hears, the faster he learns!! I even read out loud when I was pregnant. Anything I ws reading was read out loud. Now my daughter is 6 and the only one in her class that can read a chapter book cover to cover all by herself!!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• There is a sign language group here on CafeMom. Tiny kids can learn to sign before they are ready to talk. So that might help stimulate a different part of his brain. I talked to my kids non-stop about things that were way over their heads and they all talked early. My one in-law commented that I never talked baby talk. She was amazed that it wasn't necessary. But I've also heard that baby talk is easier for them to understand. So I think it is just the amount of conversation and the eye contact. Down and up might be hard, Try naming the colors, body parts, different kinds of foods. Objects should be easier than concepts, but I'm not a language expert.

older_mom

Answer by older_mom at 9:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• It isn't so strange. It's hard to get your kids to talk. My little one started slow too. But now she's 3 and I can't make her shut-up! Just talk to him ALL the time. Even when you don't have anything to say. Reading is great for kids. But if your 15 mon. old is like mine was he probably won't sit still for long. But do it as often as he'll let you. The more you do these things the more he'll learn. He may not say it at first, but he's storing it away. My little one now comes up with stuff and I don't know where she got it! Don't worry too much. Just give him time, he'll come into his own. :)

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 9:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I know that "talking" seems simple but it is a very complex thing to learn. He has to learn the words - things like "to, too, and two" or "dog, doggie, puppy" don't make that easy. He has to learn the grammar - is it "car blue" or "blue car"? He has to learn to coordinate his lips, tounge, teeth, and breath.
    Children learn to speak in a very orderly way - every child masters the same things in the same order simply because their brains mature in the same way in the same order. You can't force his brain to mature and develop overnight. But you can provide lots of words for him to hear. Tell him everything you are doing. Describe the things he sees and plays with... "Look at that big, black dog. Let's build a tower with all the blue blocks." Read books to him and point to the proper things in the pictures as you read.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Make sure you are having then try to say and say UP when you pick him up the more he hears you saying it the more he will do. Always say what you see like is that a red firetruck?? If you just give them what they want by whining or pointing they wont ever talk because they don't have to and it's easier not too. Not saying thats what you are doing.
    momofthreeIRC

Answer by momofthreeIRC at 4:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2008