Should I be Worried?

Hey everybody I am seven weeks postpardum and breastfeed for 2 weeks on and off....I was wondering would that affect the return of my period????? Normal i would start on the 5th... Any simiular storys or any knowledge would help thanks in advance.....P.S. Is there any possibilty that i may be pregnant i did have intercourse 4 weeks after baby was born not protected...thxs again

ladyt09

Asked by ladyt09 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeeding can affect the return of your period, but since you are not exclusively breastfeeding it is not an effective form of birth control. My advice is to take a pregnancy test.
    koyanddagansmom

Answer by koyanddagansmom at 11:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i did not have a period for almost a year after the baby and i only breastfed to 10 months :) but i would get a test :) GL
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 11:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• I didn't have a period for almost 5 months after I had my son. It's totally normal to not have a period yet, but if you think you might be pregnant, get a test. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• well I took a home test a week or two ago and it was neg. So I am hopping that it's just a delayed period
    ladyt09

Comment by ladyt09 (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• If it was a week or two ago, then that was only 1-2 weeks after the unprotected sex, which is too early to tell. Fertility is extremely high right after birth, so it would be wise to test again in the near future. The return of your period is different for every woman, and 7 weeks isn't unusually long. I would definitely be concerned about the possibility of pregnancy though.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 12:06 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I got my period back exactly a month after I stopped breastfeeding. I would definitely retest to make sure. It is very difficult to determine when you should get your period back after having a baby because it puts alot of strain on the body and the body has to readjust and heal. GL
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The first period post partum can be wonky, as can the first few months. If you've had unprotected sex there is the possibility of being pregnant so I would test again.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You're 3 weeks past unprotected sex? Then that negative is 99% sure correct. But breastfeeding even for a little while will generally delay your period. Heck, I haven't gotten mine back yet, and DD is almost a year. It's AWESOME. Lol, I love breastfeeding.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 5:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I DIDNT GET MINE FOR ABOUT FOUR MONTHS AFTER I HAD CLAIRE.
    clairemomma09

Answer by clairemomma09 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 25, 2010