Is this illegal?

My best friend, who lives in North Dakota, was set to take her family on vacation to Oregon tomorrow. Her husband had put in his request for vacation time, and was approved. However, when he went to work today he was told that he wasn't going to be able to his vacation. Her husband explained that people in Oregon had taken time off work and were expecting them he was told that if he were to take his vacation despite being told not to, that when he got back not only would he not receive his vacation pay but he would not have a job when he got back. Obviously this is unethical, but is it in anyway illegal?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 11:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• i dunno, he should contact someone, maybe HR and express his problems, or maybe call and do a free consultation with a lawyer, it seems wrong enough to possibly be illegal
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 11:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• It definitely seems wrong, and like a hostile sort of work environment. I don't know about illegal, but a call to HR couldn't hurt.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's not a corporation, it's a private company. His manager is the owner. This isn't the first time he's pulled a stunt like this... he also promised her husband a raise and didn't follow through. Quitting isn't an option because they have four children and the area that they're in doesn't have a whole lot of jobs available.
    prinzesstephi

Comment by prinzesstephi (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i think a call to the department of labor is in order, now! they will set this private owner straight and let them know that they cannot treat their employees as such
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 12:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My hubby's company tried that once and he said OK... you have to reimburse me for the cash I am loosing on the reservations etc... here, you dial HR while I dial my lawyer, then YOU can explain it to my wife & kids, in person I'll have them come right in... yeah his boss said never mind, just go. Dirty bastard!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• its unethical but a company can change their mind an do that
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• it really depends on the laws of the state. even if it is a private company the workers still have rights! my husband's company is shitty like that too but there really isn't much he can do cause like that situation we don't have alot of job options in our area and its a decent job :-(
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Call BBB
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• He can ask a lawyer for some legal advice
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• if vacation etc. was already paid for, they have to reimburse provided the agreement of an approval was in writing or its his word against the manager
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 4:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2010