How about a little cheese with that...

Whine!!! My 5-year old whines and cries about every single thing that does not go the way he wants. He started around the time he turned 3, and I thought maybe he would just grow out of it. No such luck. Does anyone else have this issue? What do you do? Will it EVER end?

CarrieLeester

Asked by CarrieLeester at 11:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh boy, sounds fun! Kidding. I wish I could help, but my oldest is two. My question is, do you give in to the whining? My cousin's three year old is really bad about whining and she gives in. That encourages the behavior. You have to be firm and let them know that whining gets them no where.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Oh, I cannot stand whining! I try not to acknowledge it at all, if you answer or acknowledge it will most likely continue.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• When it first started two years ago, I was not very consistent with him. After a couple years of experience, now I normally just walk away and let him have his little meltdown alone.
    CarrieLeester

Comment by CarrieLeester (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My daughter used to whine. I told her that I don't hear or understand anything said in whiny voice and if she has something to say to use real voice. I would say this everytime she started then ignore her until she used real voice. By ignore I mean not respond or give her what she wanted. She stopped after 2 weeks of it. Now all it takes is a "look" and she restarts her sentence and doesn't whine. She was 2 then and is 5 now. Hardly no whining at all :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Today my dd4 was really whiney and I knew she was tired. She doesn't nap and lately with it being summer we have been busy and she hasnt gotten enough sleep. So I put her in her room for a rest. She didnt have to sleep but she did have to stay in bed and she read some books. Came out happier.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:08 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my son is two and he doesnt form sentences yet.- yes it is worrisome - he will be 3 in january. ugh i dont give in and i typically walk away unless i know he is tired or really needs me or something. hard to handle though
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:31 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think my 9 year old whines worse than my 5 year old. And she's pretty bad about whining.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:36 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• MY dd just turned 6 and she goes through that, also my 4 year old has started. I try to get them to stop by distracting them, but there are times when I have to ignore them. It just gets to be too much.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 10:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I tell my DS that if he wants to ACT like a baby he will be treated like one. Usually that means earlier bedtime or a nap, both of which he hates, and he straightens up pretty quickly.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Have you sat down & calmly said to your son that you would like to know why he's acting that way when he wants something? I know i've done this & told my son's that I can understand/help better if they would just talk to me in a voice that I can understand.(to me I can't stand the whinning & made them feel that I couldn't hear them correctly if they did that) It helped after a while. Now they act so nice that others always compliment me on how well behaved they were in public.
    plstrm

Answer by plstrm at 1:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2010