Is there anything I can do about my 7 month old self weaning?

For the past month, my son has given us a very hard time about taking a bottle. He is down to an early morning and a bedtime bottle, but he rarely finishes those. I have tried formula in a sippy cup during meals, but he doesn't want it. Basically, the only way I have been able to get 7 to 8oz in him everyday is through oatmeal or rice cereal at breakfast. He is eating three meals a day and several snacks, so I know he isn't starving, but I just wonder if nutritionally he is getting everything he needs?

suthrnpeaches

Asked by suthrnpeaches at 12:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe back away the food more. Really any food beside formula before one is only for fun. Formula should be his MAIN and almost his only diet. It has way more calories and good fats and nutrition than other foods. He needs at least 32 oz. then all the food he wants after that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Wow, 7 months seems a bit early! Nutritionally, I wouldn't be too worried if he is doing well with baby foods and snacks. I would worry a bit about his fluid intake, but if he is happy, healthy, and growing properly, I would say let him lead the way and establish his own eating habits.Wouldn't hurt to mention it to his pediatrician and get some input from there as well though.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Another thing. My son ate a TON of food at that age, but, he also drank an 8-9 oz bottle every 4 hours during the day too. He drank a whole concentrated can of formula a day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Actually the recommended amount of formula is 24 ounces a day not 32. That is 3, 8 ounce bottles a day. Too much formula can cause a child to be overweight in the long run. I would definately discuss this with his doctor and make sure nutritionally the food he eats is healthy and not loaded with sugar etc.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 12:14 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• By 6 months, your baby's formula intake can be between 24-32 ounces (720-950 milliliters). This also depends on whether you've introduced any baby food.

So, 24-32, either way he is getting too little. And too much is different from getting the recommended. My son ate until content, not overfull.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The chart that my nutritionist gave me for dd says 24-32 ounces of breastmilk or formula, 4 or more tablespoons of cereal, and work up to 4-5 tablespoons of fruits and veggies per day. He shouldn't be snacking though. The 3 meals and 4-5 nursing or bottle sessions should be it for now. And he should be getting meals after bottles, not before.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Like the other posters have mentioned, until your son is 1 yr old, all of his nutritional needs should be met though formula - not solids. "Food before 1 is just for fun". He does not need any for nutritional purposes - it is just for him to experiment with tastes and textures. Cereal has zero nutritional value (the added iron in it is difficult to absorb and does more harm - constipation - than good). You can skip it altogether and be better off for it. When you do offer foods, make sure that it is AFTER a bottle feeding so that he is not filling up on solids first and then refusing his bottles. He's old enough for some soft finger foods - try things like mashed avocado and sweet potatoes for a healthy treat after his bottles :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I agree with the others. Cut back on the solids. At 7 months we were just starting solids and my daughter got maybe a mini muffin sized portion at lunch OR dinner and not everyday, depending on what we were doing. Now at 11 months, she gets whatever we're having for lunch and dinner. No breakfast and rarely snacks.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• nutritionally, i honestly have no clue- my opinion would be that he might not be getting enough nutrition, because the drs push formula until one year-but talk to his Dr. he can give you the best advice for your child.
    Im more concered about his future eating habbits...is he big for 7months?
    eleecpht

Answer by eleecpht at 11:31 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You need to cut back on the food. He NEEDS the formula, as his primary source of nutrition until 1 year of age. I believe 28-32 oz a day. Decrease the solids A LOT, because baby food contains very little nutrition.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2010