How do people deal with emotions about their kids health problems?

I don't know how to talk to people except for maybe one friend who knows my child has muscular dystrophy with related health problems. He is doing relatively well, seems to have a good grasp of what is happening to him. My feelings are tough, I don't know what to do with my fears of him dying or becomeing less independent. Am I doing too little, am I doing too much? If no cure is found, his life will be shortened, but we don't know how much. He tires very easily for a teenager, and his growth is causing stress on his joints. His heart is doing okay, enlarged but okay. Financially its hard too, many of his medical bills are covered by the MDA, but a lot of time we are living pay check to pay check and I want to be able to do so much for/with him. We do a lot of fun stuff, cheap, meaningful things with the family. What are good ways to cope?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Health

• I am so sorry and have never been in your shoes. But these suggestions could get the brainstorms rolling-

What are your son's life dreams/ talents/ gifts from God? Help him use them/ strive for them.
    Find md causes to fight for, to get involved in with him.
    A life video would be neat, if he could interview everyone he wants, and of course say something to each of them provately for them to view later on
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:44 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Possibly look online and try to find a support group.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• bump

And the support group (or start one) is a great idea. maybe yall could find teens his age.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:46 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The Above Answers are Great!
    You Go On and Cry Your Eyes Out When You Need To! This Cannot be Easy! We are strong for our kids and there for them always! It is the hardest thing to deal w/ when a simple bandaid and kiss can't make the booboo go away. My lil'st has been in and out of the hospital and I try my best not to put him in a bubble!
    One Thing to Try and Remember is, Your Precious Son Is "LIVING with MD!" Enjoy all the Life He and Your Family Has!
    Hugs!
    sportemom

Answer by sportemom at 12:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2010