Did your husband ever get laid off?

I was just wondering if any of u have gone through a lay off over these past 2 yrs ..My husband worked for GM and was laid off twice last yr..Luckily he has a great job now but it was really hard on our family ..Any of u go through it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• ya. he had a good paying job but he traveled a lot. i was secretly really happy because i really missed him. even if it did stress us out about money i knew we would be ok. he eventually found a better job, one that didnt require him to be gone for a month at a time.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes he gets laid off every year...from one job. Then has another for the summer.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• He's been laid off since Nov of last year and still looking for a job... For now, he's just doing whatever side jobs he can find.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:51 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yep from GM as well.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yep. He got laid off December 2008 from the mill he was working at. The entire plant shut down. He has now joined the Air Force because no one was hiring and he had always wanted to join and had never got he chance before.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 2:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yep, last fall. Now he is a full time college student.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 2:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My husband got laid off in april of 2009. Luckily he found a job a couple months later, but it was awful hours. Then in august last year his old job called him back and said that they had a position on a different shift and they wanted him back.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:31 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yes, 5 times in the last 2 years, from an automotive parts supplier. The first time he went back to work after the layoff, he was working part time hours for 3 months, then worked a week or 2 full time before being laid off for a couple of weeks, went back to work, laid off a week....etc. We did panic a little over money but really had no need to do so. We'd accumulated a small emergency fund and had paid off unsecured debt so we were able to meet our bills and buy what food we needed with unemployment checks during the layoffs.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Several times. So have I. That is why we started our own businesses.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:47 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Start you own business and put your life in your own hands. Contact me and I will tell you what I do. ANYBODY can do this and it pays very well. Company has an A+ rating with the BBB, is almost 40 years old and is traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 5:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2010