How do I get my son listen to me and obey what I say?

My son won't listen to me if it was something demanding like sit down not climbing all over place!

Lazee22

Asked by Lazee22 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Girl, although my kids are grown, we do have grandkids. I have recently been watching Super Nanny on the Style Network. I have learned some very interesting tips by watching her. If you have that channel, tune in.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• You Mean You have NOT Found the Listen To Your Mommy Switch Either! LOL
    We have been trying a parenting method called "Love and Logic" Is kind of works.... ok so it would work if I was more patient. It is great and has really helped w/ my son who has ADHD and Mood Disorder. Sometimes, I admit, I just react and do not use "thinking words." It sounds corney, but is wonderful.
    Also, your the mom and I've heard that those who have no kids are better at parenting. Or so I get comments from time to time from non-parents who think they know everything cause my kids were "Wonderful for Them!" LMFAO I was a better parent before I became a parent!
    Hugs
    sportemom

Answer by sportemom at 1:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It depends...is he looking at you and laughing? or is he just not responding?
    At this age it is a good time to take the pack and play and use it solely for time outs set a timer for one minute and he can get out ...when he gets out explain ..."no more jumping on the couch the couch is for sitting" then sit on the couch and say " see we sit on the couch"

but boys are rowdy by nature so it is a matter of time and trial by error
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Well - - for starters, I agree with sportemom about Love and Logic :) I would also suggest taking a step back from the situation - taking a deep breath - and reevaluating your expectations. That's NOT to say let your son do whatever with no consequences. . . . but sometimes it is easy to fall into the trap of expecting small children to act like mini-adults (I do it too!!!). Kids are going to push buttons - they are going to push limits. Toddlers are going to need to be reminded - over and over again - to sit down, and to not climb all over things. LOL My son is 18 months, and I'm right there with you in wanting him to listen!!! Bu-ut, if he weren't pushing those limits, I would need to be a little concerned that he wasn't behaving like a toddler LOL know what I mean?
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Whatever punishment you choose when he doesn't listen you have to follow through with and be consistant with. He will not ever listen if he knows he can get away with it or if you're giving empty threats. Keep to what you say and be consistant about it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Awesome! I'm patient with him but if he goes too far and pressing my button I will just become frustrate and that's sucks bc I always imagined myself being a amazing mother whose just have the calm and love and kindess personality but unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. Maybe I need to walk away and calm down and collect myself then go back out there and sit my son down and explain why he has to take time out or whatever methods works for him and hopefully maybe he will calm down. He knows some sign language and i would help him be more calm since he can communicate with me a little.. Thanks ladies!
    Lazee22

Comment by Lazee22 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Lazee - - no worries - I would hazard a guess that we ALL fancied ourselves to be the world's greatest moms, with unlimited patience and and an endless bag of tricks to help out our perfect children when they struggled. . . . . :D
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2010