Why does my son have to be so stubborn and so hard-headed and won't listen?

I feel like I'm alone in this situation, my son is almost 24 months old and he won't make eye contact, listen to me, or obey when Im demanding him to sit down or whatever from climbing all over place! He literally climbs couch, shelfs, over crib, and all. This frustrates me! He is like Monkey-boy! So any tips or advice?!?

Lazee22

Asked by Lazee22 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well take him outside for one, and see if you can get his attention, with talking about the grass and bugs you find...
    As for around the house, move anything that's fragile!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• bump!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:03 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Maybe His Skull Bones Fused at a Rapid Rate and He has a Super Strong Head! Hopefully he does with all the Monkey Antics! LOL He's a kid and some receive a memo on the way out of the womb that they are suppose to torture their parents!
    I plan on faking being Senile when I'm old enough to use that as an excuse. I will then enjoy torturing my adult children by pooping and peeing my pants and Have random outbursts so I can get back at them! LMAO!
    sportemom

Answer by sportemom at 1:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I have one of those kids. I have to take him outside and let him run around in the yard. I also put him a 2 day/week program at 2.5 years old to help him make friends and burn some of that energy. Stubborn....well I tell myself I will be thankful for it when he is in high school. lol
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• because hes a toddler!!!! lol
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I try to remind myself that she'll battle the rest of the world w/ as much ferocity as she battles me! It makes me feel good that she'll be a fighter & not a pushover & makes me smirk a little over what her teachers are in store for!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 3:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• That's typical behavior for that age. He's trying to find and assert his independence. It's just a phase; he'll grow out of it. If you think this is bad, wait till he's a teenager. lol
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 4:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• He is that way because you are not training him to be otherwise. When he climbs on something you don't want him on, spank his leg and tell him to get down, Mommy does not allow his climbing on whatever it is. Children do not just automatically obey nor do they automatically know what they are supposed to do. They have to be trained and taught and disciplined until they learn that Mommy is the authority and what she says goes. They are born thinking they are to be in charge of all things, and it is your job to teach him that it just ain't so!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• i have a 3 year old the same way. so i know what u are talk about it just kids well good luck
    armywife3013

Answer by armywife3013 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• He's a toddler, you're definately not alone in this situation. Toddlers are natorious for this behaviour, because they're learning their bounderies and how to test them. It's what nearly every toddler does. Know that almost every mom has been in the same situation that you have. Try to keep from screaming at him. Kids push harder when they see that you're getting frustrated and mad. They know that this is the quickest way to you giving in and it entertains them. When he doesn't listen after ONE warning, then he gets a time out. And everytime he gets up you put him back and restart his time silently. When you first set him down tell him why he's there and how long he has to sit there. If he does what earned him a time out again, then he gets a toy taken away. You just need to be assertive, firm, follow through, and be consistant. Don't give up after one time out if it doesn't work, then you're giving up on him. Keep at it!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:26 AM on Jul. 23, 2010