When did your child start pronouncing r and l well?

My 3 year old doesn't pronounce his r's or l's, but instead of making a generic "w" sound for both, his r's sound like y's. We went camping with family about a month ago and everyone thought it was so cute that he said "smoeys" (s'mores). I'm not really worried or anything, just wondering what is "normal."

heydooney

Asked by heydooney at 1:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's normal. My dd says her L's like R's. As in, "Oh reery?" (really) And she lisps her S's. She's 3 btw.
    RachaelMac

Answer by RachaelMac at 1:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Normal, although, you cannot go by my kid. He was WAY not normal. He could say it starting when he said his first word at 7 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:24 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's Different for All Children. I had a speech impediment until I was in the 6th grade. Went through speech therapy for 5 years. I was retained in the 1st grade because the teachers thought I was stupid and was sadly teased for years. My older brother finely told kids I was from New York (born & raised in Cali) and teasing subsided. Made me a strong person.
    I am a teacher now and tell my students about this. They see that we're all different, not perfect and to not pass judgement on anyone!
    My friend has had both of her lil's in speech since they were 1 year old. Her oldest is 5 and speaking really well.
    Hugs!
    sportemom

Answer by sportemom at 1:24 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My son is three, and his speech is pretty good for his age- the only sounds he has trouble with are "th" which comes of "fff" and "sh" which comes out "sss" Other than that, not much. My half-brother couldn't pronounce his "th" "r" "l" or "sh" sounds until after five. It seems pretty normal.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2010