Do you think women are NATURALLY suited to house cleaning?

My Grandmother always had the idea that a women was just not worth his salt if she could not keep a house clean. I have known men who are much better at house cleaning then their wives, gf or s/o. Is this just something from my Grandmother's day and age? I, personally, hate housework, always have and always will. What do you think?

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 4:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You need to understand. This was the general thought at the time that your grandmother grew up. Now, at a time when women are recognized as being more than caretakers for children and men, this is less likely to be the social norm.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my fiance is much better at cleaning than I am...i'm better at cooking
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• NO!!! I am very close to my grandma and not once did she ever say that women are supposed to clean the house. She did point out that we need to keep our family together no matter what, for the sake of the children. House cleaning in our family was delegated to someone else. This freed my aunts and cousins to be financially productive. I think I'm the only one in my family who actually takes care of her own children and cleans her own house. I used to get so stressed out over household chores and sometimes I still do. But I know that it gets easier in time. I just need to learn how to do these things and it will get easier.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 4:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I have a hard time keeping the house clean, especially with two children always destroying it! LOL
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:30 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• No, I don't think it's a gender issue... I think it depends on the person herself/himself,, but I also think that the percentage of men who likes housework is less than of women who likes the same,,, well,  judging by people I know.

mommy_sam

Answer by mommy_sam at 4:53 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Hell no I suck at it. It is the hardest most difficult job I've ever done. That is sad I've done construction.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:26 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think so women are better suited to it if that is what they like to do. . . I like house work. . . primarily because I have OCD and have to have everything in it's place or else dang it. . . But my sis is not suited to it one bit and can't keep house to save her life. But her DH on the other hand. . .he can keep house or at least better than she can.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:48 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• NO!!! My ex kept our house clean for many years thus I expected it with this hubby and so far this is proving so not true!! Neither of us are into cleaning
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 5:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think it depends on the woman, and the man. My husband CANNOT keep a clean house. If he has to clean, because I am sick or something, I can feel the dirtiness. He gets so easily distracted when cleaning that he only does half (if that) the job. He may sweep, but not under the tables or the sofas and then he won't mop.

So, in our house, I keep the house clean because I can do it all. I have small daily things to do and then, every Friday (except today, I have a cold and am going back to bed in a minute), I deep clean my house. It's not that hard and it only takes about 5 hours to get the whole house sparkling. Doing this also lightens the daily load to a minimum (dishes, laundry, sweeping).I like a clean house and don't mind working to get it. My husband, he may like a clean house but hates to actually work at it.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:00 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It depends on what area of the house. My husband can clean a kitchen like no body's business, but hates the bathroom which I don't mind.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:40 AM on Jul. 23, 2010