My DD bit me!

And I bit her right back. It works with dogs, does it work with kids too?

MomtoElliett

Asked by MomtoElliett at 6:08 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Worked with my middle dd. Happened once and only once. Older dd bit me once while I was sleeping I accidentally slapped her Worked, but don't suggest it. I regretted it but one thing I learned growing up is once discipline happens you can't apologize it wont fix it . So I made sure she was ok and explained to her why we don't bit. Son hasn't gotten there yet.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I had a PH.D in behavior modification tell me to do this when my child refused to stop biting me, even after time outs. She said that some children do not understand it hurts and need the demonstration that it hurts. She said that this should only be used after other methods have failed. You should not bite hard to break the skin, only hard enough for the children to understand it hurts others when they do that. I only had to do it once.
    There really are some children that 'explaining it' doesn't work and they need something more stern.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I dunno. . . Thankfully my DD hasn't bitten me. I think for starters I would be a bit baffled and freaked before I could muster thought as to what to do next. . . GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 6:10 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• IDK. If you bite her back, I think you're teaching her that it's ok to bite if someone bites you first. When my son did this I cried out briefly. Freaked him out. Never did it again.
    mommynac

Answer by mommynac at 6:20 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• At what age do they bite?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 6:36 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• At what age do they bite?

Depends on the child.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:38 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My son went through that...thankfully it didn't last long. He left bruises on me! lol
    NatesMommy118

Answer by NatesMommy118 at 6:58 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't bite her back, I would sternly tell her no as I looked her in the eye and put her in a chair and make her sit.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:01 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Yeah to me this is a last resort type of thing. When my kids did it I shrieked (it really didn't hurt that bad) and quickly placed them on the ground and told them it hurt mommy and we don't hurt people. I wouldn't pick them back up for a minute or two and it worked with both of them the second time. Never got a third bite from either child, but my SIL tried that and many other methods and finally he just quit.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my son got teeth at 4 months and is now 9 months wiht 8 teeth. So we went through that phase. I firmly told him no and said ouch that hurts. If he continued like while nursing I would take him off and say no then put him back on. It really worked. Of course my hubby laughing didn't help the situation LOL
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 9:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2010