• In the Spotlight:

my new born is in icu how do i stay calm and heal?

kaydee8

Asked by kaydee8 at 7:38 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am sorry. This is a time for prayer and good thoughts. Take it one minute at a time. ((hugs))

Answer by Bmat at 7:48 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It's hard but know you have done all you can and pray if you do that.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:48 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Just know your baby is getting the best care in the nicu ...a nurse at their side round the clock. My last baby was in the nicu for awhile too...its hard.Prayers here for you... everything will be fine. (:
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:59 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Stay informed, visit when you can, trust the the Drs. and nurses AND yourself are doing all you can. My DD was in the ICU when she was 10mths old and that's how I got through it. Find a good support system (person) at home that you can call or talk to anytime you need it. It's hard -- but you have to be strong and level headed, it's what's best for your baby...Maybe find out if the hospital has counselors that can help you?
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:00 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It is a very hard thing to cope with. Just know that your child is in the best care possible. Get informed on the situations that are occurring, ask questions (don't be scared to ask too many, and if you don't understand anything that they are saying make sure you ask them to say it in your terms!) Take care of yourself too... You don't need to get sick! It is such a difficult thing, but god never gives us a situation that he doesn't think we wont overcome. My daughter was in the NICU when she was 1 month old and I know how hard it is to see so many machines hooked up to them. Our daughter had/has a lot of medical problems so the hospitals became our 2nd home. Best of luck to you and your family
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I was there. . . my DD was in the NICU for months after she was born. . . it is hard, but you have to know that your baby is being taken care of. And you can see your baby and be there. . . Just think mending thoughts to speed you healing too! Do you mind my asking why your baby is in the NICU?
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 8:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I'm so sorry. Just know its the best place for he/she to be at this time. They are right on top of things over there. What happened? You were 39 weeks right? Did you have a boy or girl?
    FDNYwife

Answer by FDNYwife at 8:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My DD spent months in the NICU when she was born; I remember all too well and completely understand what you are going through ... my prayers are with you. Please know it's OK to allow yourself your emotions - cry, scream, whatever. Secondly, you need to be "in the moment" when talking with the doctors/nurses because you really need to hear what they say. Do you visit daily?  I remember being so overwhelmed and emotionally checked out because I could only believe that she wouldn't make it and I did not want to get emotionally attached; still I forced myself everyday and she became the fight of my life.  Most importantly, make sure you have a support system (family, friends, counselors, etc.) and don't be afraid to lean on them for anything you might need; your main focus has to be your baby.  You will get through this.  Hugs.

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I would stay at the hospital 24/7. The longest any of my babies has been hospitalized is 3 weeks and I stayed the whole time. If you aren't there then you can't be sure you aren't there if something goes wrong.

My 3 children have a rare genetic disease that wasn't diagnosed until after the 3rd was born. With the first 2 we just didn't know why they had weird health things going on. Now my 22 mo grandson has the same disease. My children were inpatients and outpatients at a famous children's hospital for 20 years and now I'm doing it again with my grandson. My best advice to moms is to always be there and make sure your baby always gets your milk and breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• my baby got group b strep even though i tested negative :( it's very hard cause i want to hold him and cant
    kaydee8

Comment by kaydee8 (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2010