What to do about a 12 yo attitude?

My daughter is 12, and will be 13 in October, and her attitude and mouth is getting horriable...I had to put her on timeout because she was being rude to her sister and brother, and I had her sit in the back of the truck at a picnic, because she was causing a scene, well I asked after an hour if she was ready to get out, and done with the attitude, and she said NO i'm not....Okay then...My daughter is going to be 14 wasn't like this, and she's already started her period, and such, the 12 year old isn't really even developing...I'm not sure how to handle it, and any advice would be great!

ThreeFates511

Asked by ThreeFates511 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have been there, done that... Remind your self that you are the parent when dealing with the the teen and if needed take a time out for your self. I had to remind my kids that some of the things that they felt was a need, was really a luxury item. At any point and time, we could take it away till they could responsible behavior for than that night. This included cell phones, cars, going out with friends, actually grounding from the telephone to make calls or recieving call. We were the meanest parentes... My 23 year old son told us thank you during his college graduation (Dec. 2008). That made it all worth while.
    guyandtoni01

Answer by guyandtoni01 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• At that age they can be so up and down with there behavior. I would check out who she is hanging around with/associating with and see if this may be the cause of the problem, sometimes it is. I would talk to her to see what her feelings are and why she thinks she is acting that way. If can't make any progress by any of those then taking privileges away is what I would do next. If that doesn't work I would consider counseling for both of you about the situation.
    crazycoolmom3

Answer by crazycoolmom3 at 10:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Buckle up Mom because you're in for a ride. Its hard right now with the attitude and the behavior but she's not doing anything that's not expected for her age....once she's out of this phase life will be great! But in the meantime stay firm with the discipline.
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 12:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2010