Housebreaking a puppy?

I have a 6 year old chocolate lab female that was housebroken when I got her, well Monday I'm getting an 8 week old yellow lab male, and wondering if anyone has any good tricks for housbreaking a pup? I've read up, and have some ideas, but always looking for more....

ThreeFates511

Asked by ThreeFates511 at 8:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Males are a little more difficult to train- but here it goes. Try getting the "wee wee" pads to sit by the door the dogs are let out to do their business. That way, if you don't get there in time, at least it's on the pad & not on your floor. Try setting a timer for every 30 minutes to take the dogs out. Praise & reward every time he goes. Good news is, labs are very smart and he will learn from your other dog too. Keep him crated while you are away- they usually don't go in their crates. Good luck & enjoy the new additions to your family.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:42 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• All of mine were crate trained. The crate should be big enough for the pup to stand, turn around, and law down in. At night or while you are gone, put him in the crate. During the day, you can tether him to you using a leash. That way, if he starts to show signs he needs to potty (lots of sniffing & circling), you can get him outside. If you don't catch him in the act of pottying in the house, you cannot punish him as he will not remember what he did wrong. If you catch him, you can clap or say "no potty" in a stern voice, then get him outside. Praise him like crazy when he potties outside. Also, take him outside as soon as he wakes up, 10-20 mins after he eats, and after he has been playing for a while. Feeding him on a schedule will help to regulate his potty times. Puppies that age should be fed 3 times/day. Once the puppy is 6 months old, you can switch him to twice/day feedings.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I need to add one more thing to my previous response. With the age/size difference- you should look into getting a "Break-away" collar for your puppy. It could prevent the tragedy my family went thru a few years back. Our labs were 1 1/2 yrs apart- while playing, the older dogs lower jaw became entangled in the smaller dogs collar & strangled her. It was awful. I learned about those collars afterward, and highly recommend them. Again, good luck and enjoy your dogs.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think the older lab will teach the younger lab. When you see him sniffing take him outside and praise him when he goes outside. Congrats on your new addition
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 4:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Use a crate, like others have already mentioned. Praise, praise, PRAISE when they go outside and do things right. I have to tell you, we are potty training right now and for the times when they do go on the carpet, RugDoctor makes a green product called Urine Eliminator that works wonders. :) I've used it for puppy accidents as well as two year old accidents, good stuff! You can get it at Walmart next to the carpet cleaning soaps.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 24, 2010