Is it typical behaviour for a 4 year old (cont)

To constantly back talk you, show complete disrespect, and never listen to a word you say? I am completely embarrassed at how my daughters acts towards others including myself. It's as though she is already 18 and knows everything about life. I am getting really upset that I can't handle situations anymore due to her lack of listening. Help??

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 8:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• children pick up on what they see... otherwise time outs and some serious reenforcements on some issues sounds necessary. but no that is not normal. maybe as a parent seek some counselling as to how to deal with them, video tape them so a counselor can understand
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 8:26 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Maybe she is bored and needs to be re-directed. I think that she may be acting out because she needs to be occupied. You could start her in Pre-school or bring her to your local Library. They offer free toddler playtime, crafts, sing-a-longs, puppet shows, books, DVD's etc. If you occupy her time, you may see a difference in behavior. I think it just may be average toddler behavior & she is bored. Do you have a smaller child? She could be showing signs of jealousy that you are not spending time with her like before because you are busy with the other baby. Either way she needs activities. I know how hard it is taking a toddler out shopping and for other things. We all go through this. Hang in there Momma :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:04 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• It is her job to push the envelope and your job to set the limits. You mention it is as if she is 18...well nip this in the bud now momma or she will be 18 and totally out of control! Put her butt in time out every single time she gets mouthy...she will learn that is not acceptable!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2010