do you think having some time for yourself makes you a better mom...?

a couple of hours every now and then to do something you enjoy,, does that make you selfish? or do you think it would help make you a happier mom?

mommy_sam

Asked by mommy_sam at 8:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I def. think it makes you a better mom. Taking time out to do something for yourself helps you to not be so stressed out which obviously makes it easier on everyone. =)
    NatesMommy118

Answer by NatesMommy118 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think it makes you a better mom. We all need some time to ourselves.
    I grab my book and read for a half hour while the kids are playing outside.
    Or I run errands while DH watches the kids.

I also take a 'girls only' vacation once a year. :)
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 8:28 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• YES! even a run to the grocery store after they go to sleep is refreshing not to mention an occasional haircut or what not. but it is important to leave them with someone you completely trust or it's no use you come home more worried then when you left. time apart makes the heart grow fonder
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 8:29 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• The latter, definately :-) After a couple of hours just by myself I´m way more patient with my kids as I´m more relaxed and balanced. It´s important to be by yourself every now and then! For me sometimes even a hot shower is enough, sometimes I need more. I always try to listen to myself to stay in a good mood :-) That´s not selfish, that´s right the contrary: We need all of our strenght and patience to be good to our kids, so we need to fill up our batteries once in a while...
    jaliam

Answer by jaliam at 8:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Absolutely! It's necessity not selfish. Moms need to take time to unwind from all our demands. It's important to spend time with your friends too. Make the time, take the time, and enjoy! You'll be happier & healthier for doing it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I believe that taking time out for yourself is a definite yes! Every parent needs time away to relax away from the realities of their life. I like to get a hour of massage therapy, Sometimes pedicare. I don't get to do this very often; however , anytime is a good time for down time as long as the family is set to go.
    guyandtoni01

Answer by guyandtoni01 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• Oh, hell yeah! Sometimes you just need to recharge. A change of scenery, a change of activity, and not having to watch kids while you do it makes you mentally refreshed.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:40 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• yes it helps me re charge and re group and re think and helps me not to stress so much
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:09 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• If you had me time in between the chaos of the days it would make you happy, so a happy mom is a better one.

Answer by older at 9:10 AM on Jul. 23, 2010

• I think everyone needs to have some time to themselves from time to time. I know when I have a chance to have some time to myself it makes me a better mom.
    crazycoolmom3

Answer by crazycoolmom3 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 23, 2010